Warning: file_get_contents(/home/www/settings/mirror_forum_db_enable_sql): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/content/Forum/functions.php on line 8
Location: Really deep in the heart of South California Gender:
Posted:
Oct 7, 2026 - 9:07pm
SeriousLee wrote:
All mixtapes mailed out today. I need to take a break so no need to mail anything out to me. I do have a couple of themes that I would love to tackle but that's for another time. My mind is too preoccupied with other things.
This mix isn't that great. I couldn't muster up enough songs for one theme I was planning on doing so I did this instead: I've accumulated a ton of CDs over the years (mostly cheap used ones but also lots given to me) and so many bands/artists I know nothing of. So I picked a whole bunch of unknowns and listened to each one and if I came across a song I liked, I used it for the Mixtape. So my theme is (Spoilers) "You Tell Me". Because I don't know.
All mixtapes mailed out today. I need to take a break so no need to mail anything out to me. I do have a couple of themes that I would love to tackle but that's for another time. My mind is too preoccupied with other things.
This mix isn't that great. I couldn't muster up enough songs for one theme I was planning on doing so I did this instead: I've accumulated a ton of CDs over the years (mostly cheap used ones but also lots given to me) and so many bands/artists I know nothing of. So I picked a whole bunch of unknowns and listened to each one and if I came across a song I liked, I used it for the Mixtape. So my theme is (Spoilers) "You Tell Me". Because I don't know.
Looking forward to it!
And you'll stay on my mailing list. Catch up when you can.
Location: 544 miles west of Paradis 1821 miles east of Paradise Gender:
Posted:
Oct 6, 2026 - 6:33pm
SeriousLee wrote:
All mixtapes mailed out today. I need to take a break so no need to mail anything out to me. I do have a couple of themes that I would love to tackle but that's for another time. My mind is too preoccupied with other things.
This mix isn't that great. I couldn't muster up enough songs for one theme I was planning on doing so I did this instead: I've accumulated a ton of CDs over the years (mostly cheap used ones but also lots given to me) and so many bands/artists I know nothing of. So I picked a whole bunch of unknowns and listened to each one and if I came across a song I liked, I used it for the Mixtape. So my theme is (Spoilers) "You Tell Me". Because I don't know.
All mixtapes mailed out today. I need to take a break so no need to mail anything out to me. I do have a couple of themes that I would love to tackle but that's for another time. My mind is too preoccupied with other things.
This mix isn't that great. I couldn't muster up enough songs for one theme I was planning on doing so I did this instead: I've accumulated a ton of CDs over the years (mostly cheap used ones but also lots given to me) and so many bands/artists I know nothing of. So I picked a whole bunch of unknowns and listened to each one and if I came across a song I liked, I used it for the Mixtape. So my theme is (Spoilers) "You Tell Me". Because I don't know.
Do we interpret this as you putting your membership on "pause"?
All mixtapes mailed out today. I need to take a break so no need to mail anything out to me. I do have a couple of themes that I would love to tackle but that's for another time. My mind is too preoccupied with other things.
This mix isn't that great. I couldn't muster up enough songs for one theme I was planning on doing so I did this instead: I've accumulated a ton of CDs over the years (mostly cheap used ones but also lots given to me) and so many bands/artists I know nothing of. So I picked a whole bunch of unknowns and listened to each one and if I came across a song I liked, I used it for the Mixtape. So my theme is (Spoilers) "You Tell Me". Because I don't know.
Save the Whales. Iâm familiar with The Pursuit of Happiness. I even have a couple of their songs on my playlist filed under âPower Popâ. This is great with its psychedelic undertones. Me likey!
I was turned onto them when Todd Rundgren produced their first 2 albums. Love all their stuff. Wish they were still around.
The Size of My Fist- Iâve never heard of The Woodrow Wilsons. A very nice acoustic song. I will dig deeper into this group.
Confession, I never heard of them either. I went looking for bands with "patriotic" names and this popped up. Checked them out on Bandcamp and liked what I heard.
Dead Presidents- Never was a big fan of the J. Geils Band. The blues driven harmonica always turns me off. I know, Iâm in the minority here. Ask me if I care.
Always loved Peter Wolfâs later solo stuff through.
I know Geils gets put in the Blues category a lot, but they played kick-ass blues with a flair. I know your dislike of the Blues in general, myself I can only take so much. But Geils I can listen to anyday.
Dirty Water- The wife and I went on a tour of the Revolutionary War last July. We did a âDuck Tourâ of Boston while we were there. My wife gets on me every time when I answer all the questions brought up by the guides. I upstaged the guide on the Duck Boat when we dropped into the River Charles about The Standells.
What a classic Garage Rock song.
I grew up in the suburbs of Boston and have always loved that city. If you like history it's got it in spades. Done the Duckboat tour a few times, the drivers are usually hysterical. Best tour evah was a walking tour with a guy from Southie in a Celtics jersey with the classic Boston accent and lingo. History with a side of comedy.
This was a great mix for the 250th.! I really enjoyed it
Thank you.
I'm sorry I was so late with this.
I appreciate the great review, better late than nevah!
Wow! That was pretty good for a couple of Swedish girls. I wish I was aware of it, I would have used it on the mix. I saw them live once, opened up for Lord Huron, at Forest Hills in Queens where the US Open used to be played before they built the current complex. Great show, they were very enjoyable.
Location: Really deep in the heart of South California Gender:
Posted:
Oct 2, 2026 - 7:47am
ColdMiser wrote:
Going into the year 2026 I wanted to put together a mix to celebrate the upcoming 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.
America- One of my favorite Simon and Garfunkel songs. Itâs up there as one of my favorite all time songs. The lonely, aching lyrics really hit me. That line âAnd the moon rose over an open field...â Sheesh.
Song for America- I never was a big fan of Kansas- the band. By this time, I just about had it with FM classic rock. Iâve never heard of this one before because of that. Kind of big and pompous. Goes with the territory I suppose.
Proud to Be An American- Those Tubes guys are always poking fun at numerous items. Never heard this one by them. Not bad. âA babyâs arm holding an apple!â notwithstanding.
Save the Whales. Iâm familiar with The Pursuit of Happiness. I even have a couple of their songs on my playlist filed under âPower Popâ. This is great with its psychedelic undertones. Me likey!
Indian Reservation- I still have my 45 of this song. This was their last big hit. Not a bad song. Kind of silly. And the reference to the Cherokee arenât real accurate. Looking into this song... I didnât realize it was a cover of a cover.
The Size of My Fist- Iâve never heard of The Woodrow Wilsons. A very nice acoustic song. I will dig deeper into this group.
Dead Presidents- Never was a big fan of the J. Geils Band. The blues driven harmonica always turns me off. I know, Iâm in the minority here. Ask me if I care.
Always loved Peter Wolfâs later solo stuff through.
The Day John Kennedy Died- I remember that day. I donât remember this song. I havenât followed Lou Reed real close but always liked what Iâve heard. This is a really nice story song.
James K. Polk- Thereâs nothing like a song about a president that people hardly talk about... from a band who goes out of its way to be out there. All with an accordion and a saw! Nice and quirky!
Dirty Water- The wife and I went on a tour of the Revolutionary War last July. We did a âDuck Tourâ of Boston while we were there. My wife gets on me every time when I answer all the questions brought up by the guides. I upstaged the guide on the Duck Boat when we dropped into the River Charles about The Standells.
What a classic Garage Rock song.
Fall in Philadelphia- Never heard this... but it is nice.
Raining in Baltimore- Iâve always liked the Counting Crows. Why all the hate? This is a great, sad song.
Independence Day- Love Elliot Smith. This particular song makes me feel good. Iâm not a big lyric follower usually. His songs make me listen harder.
4th of July â I just love this song. I like the version by fellow music collaborator Dave Alvin too. I always put this one on every 4th
of July. Or anytime I want to hear it.
4th of July- Iâve never heard this by Sweet. Glamness ensues!
Flags of Freedom- Neil and his political awareness at his best.
Ragged Old Flag- Nice history lesson from Johnny.
Star Spangled Banner- God job Jimi!
This was a great mix for the 250th.! I really enjoyed it
Thank you.
Location: Really deep in the heart of South California Gender:
Posted:
Oct 2, 2026 - 7:41am
ColdMiser wrote:
Thanks for the stellar review! I will have to look into Bowie's version of America. The only other one I've heard is the one by Yes, that depending on my mood either sucks or is the greatest cover ever.
He is not, he turned in his resignation a year ago or so. If you have been sending him your mix and he hasn't made any comment you can give him a pass.
Will try to get my contribution out by Thursday. But should be out Friday at the latest. Had a lot of fun doing my last one (really enjoyed it), but this one is a chore.
Amelia Coburn - Where do you find these gems! I liked this from the start and played it on repeat 4 times before moving onto the next tune. Meandering and interesting lyrics set to a waltzing rhythm. "witnessing crows in their murder", I mean who writes like that? My favorite on the disc and in the running for best new song of the year for me.
This was a recommendation from a music blog, and at first the dreamlike quality kinda put me off. Repeated listenings made it more interesting, and the songwriting...well, that's what this disc is about, so it fit right in.
Hourglass - Real good deep cut from Squeeze. What happened to those guys? They were all over the place back in the day.
I think there was some tension in the band between the principals. Interesting (to me anyway) is that the primary songwriter for the band isn't the singer, and he wouldn't accept any edits to the lyrics to make the songs more singable. Take it or leave it. Makes me think there are some unpolished gems out there somewhere that were just too awkward.
I'm With Her - Lazy 8 Special! Probably discovered in some Bozeman roadhouse.
I think I was introduced to Sarah by one of DGV's mixdiscs, one of his Amazon freebies collections. Comes full circle. As for the band...it might have been on Chris Thile's radio show.
Very good flow of artists. Reminiscent of good college radio from back in the day. Interesting artwork, the cover evokes a religious experience forthcoming. The back cover looks like Washington crossing the Delaware with Sumo Wrestlers in the boat. Maybe I'm just seeing things.
Nope, that's a japanese-style painting of Washington crossing the Delaware. Probably AI, I swiped it from the web somewhere. Glad it was legible enough to make out!
I'm going to close with a plagiarized review comment from the Amelia Coburn website. "Lazy8 is a literate folk-goth. His song selections flicker in the moonlight, they look longingly through the mist"
Firstâapologies the mix missing the Elvis Costello cut. I blame the liquor. And Winamp. Really messes up the flow I had in mind for the disc.
Dejaveux wrote:
See Saw - Amelia Coburn - Sounds a lot like Stereolab would like to know the instrumentation they are using there is a lot going on back there.
This may surprise but this reminds of the Doors too. In any event I really like it. As far as lyrics I am never the guy to go to for lyric interpretation in the first place so I have a feeling will be equally lost throughout this mix.
Amelia plays ukelele. You can see her play this live here:
Death With Dignity - Sufjan Stevens - Favorite song of the mix so far. I love Sufjan anyway but this actually does not sound like him to me the music does but not his voice. Love it either way but because I think Elvis got left off am not sure of song order now so we will see. In any event I love this song.
This is from an album he wrote about his late mother, Carrie and Lowell. It's pretty emotionally raw and can be a hard listen, but rewarding.
Krill - Hail Mary Mallon - I know this is Aesop must be a side project will look this up gotta look up the other emcees I actually am enjoying their verses better than Aesops. Great beat.
This was my introduction to Aesop, so I'm coming at it from the other end. I'll be exploring.
Ancient Light - I'm With Her - Never heard of them but I absolutely adore this. Terrific melodies and the fiddle completely elevates it to something more. Can't really categorize it and those are usually the best songs. Is that Chris Thile I hear sprinkled in background there somewhere?
That's Sarah Jarosz (star of the trio IMO) on octave mando. She is a phenomenal mando player, and her solo work reflects that too.