[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
The Beatles — Strawberry Fields Forever
Album: Magical Mystery Tour
Avg rating:
8.3

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1536









Released: 1967
Length: 4:03
Plays (last 30 days): 2
Let me take you down
'Cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real, and nothing to get hung about
Strawberry Fields forever

Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone, but it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

Let me take you down
'Cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real, and nothing to get hung about
Strawberry Fields forever

No-one, I think, is in my tree
I mean, it must be high or low
That is, you can't, you know, tune in, but it's all right
That is, I think it's not too bad

Let me take you down
'Cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real, and nothing to get hung about
Strawberry Fields forever

Always, no, sometimes think it's me
But you know I know when it's a dream
I think, er, no, I mean, er, yes, but it's all wrong
That is, I think I disagree

Let me take you down
'Cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real, and nothing to get hung about
Strawberry Fields forever
Strawberry Fields forever
Strawberry Fields forever

'''Spoken:'''
Cranberry sauce
Cranberry sauce
Comments (61)add comment
 Paddy_Hannan wrote:

Clearly a great record, but is it a great song? I've never been convinced. I've always found the lyrics, for the most part, nonsensical and disjointed. That this often takes first place in popular opinion in entire The Beatles' canon, makes me think I'm missing something, but I don't know what. 
I find its other side, Penny Lane, a far more perfect and emotive pop song.



It's a milestone from when they started being the later Beatles, long past trying to pump out Top Ten hits, but still kinda burdened with the pop-mania thing, like they just weren't feeling the whole breadth that freedom yet. 

That's why Strawberry Fields matters. It's when a point of maturation was reached that opened up the idea of just doing' shit to see what could come of it, rather than being bound to convincingly satisfying a contractual obligation. 

So, it's part of the initial freedom from that for each of them--and it's one of the first clues that Sgt. Pepper's would be another step outside of the familiar, like those tentative ones made in Rubber Soul and Revolver, just far less self-conscious in affect. 

As a message that Beatles had more to say, it might lack the charm of Penny Lane (which, as good as it is, is not that far a jump from the standard pop realm, musically) but it's not as though either song will ever be forgotten by anyone who has an ear to listen. 

Actually, both are Beatle lyric originals in that they are biographical, one looking in, while the other looks out, and it's like the individual performances achieve the same thing in opposite ways. In Penny Lane, it's lyrical newland, whereas, in Strawberry Fields, it's the music that's a greater departure from the familiar, till then, Lennon/McCartney output, more than the lyrics. In one, the lyric accompanies the music; in the other, it's the other way around.

That's quite a jump from the palpably lurking impulse to please the consumers that is still apparent on Rubber Soul and Revolver. That's why Strawberry Fields will always matter, as much as Penny Lane, or Eleanor Rigby.

Okay, I'm done, here. Hope it makes sense.
I was 10 when this came out, and picked strawberries in the local fields (before migrant laborers came along and made us kids irrelevant, for good reason). We loved it and sang along when this song came on our little AM radios.
Clearly a great record, but is it a great song? I've never been convinced. I've always found the lyrics, for the most part, nonsensical and disjointed. That this often takes first place in popular opinion in entire The Beatles' canon, makes me think I'm missing something, but I don't know what. 
I find its other side, Penny Lane, a far more perfect and emotive pop song.
It is perhaps hard nowadays to properly assess the impact that creative, mind-blowing tunes like this had on us back then, but looking back, wow, how WILD and WONDERFUL this was, to hear as a kid on friends' elder siblings' turntables coming through wide-open windows as we played kickball or catch in the yards of the neighborhood...then, to hear it on the radio and on our own sound systems as we got a bit older, and to FREAK OUT to it as weed and beer and really good windowpane became part of our scene... Also, forever reminds me of crazy Keith H, who in the middle of our High School Geometry class was fond of calling me in close as if to impart something of great import, only to snicker and sing, "STRAWberry FEEyulds, FOREVAHH!"
 calypsus_1 wrote:
no comment    -   10.


Of course, some songs speak louder than words.
Driving around the San Fernando Valley in '68 thinking Strawberry Fields are in my head. A better time but never mind!
Pure Lennon. 
 easmann wrote:

The outro is my favorite part.



I just upped it to a 9 for that reason.
 glenMcC wrote:



Not a silly song at all. Strawberry Fields is an actual place located in a suburb of Liverpool . Like many Beatle songs, there is more to it then what you might think at first listen.  Masterpiece.


Strawberry Fields: is´nt it rather a place in NY Central Park?
"I buried Paul"
Quintessentially John.   
They really need an 'Eleven'  (Mine goes to Eleven) :D
I'm 75 now - and this track takes this woman back to a better time in her life.
Wonderful memories of times gone by.

Thank you boys for all you did for us teenagers from 1962 onward  ........... I really believe you had to be there to understand how much the  music and the times changed.  

Don't get me wrong I love Sinatra et al ... but yes, they had their time and now it was ours.
  
 Stephen_Phillips wrote:

As mentioned in comments below from 16 years ago, it is the string arrangement and production that makes this rather silly song into a masterpiece.

And who did that? Well it was not one of the Fab Four... it was George Martin who was sometimes referred to as "the fifth Beatle" for that very reason.

 



The reason this silly song is so great is because they all collaborated on the track and the lyrics are great also! silly that's what made them so great!   
Drug use does have its benefits.
Living is easy with eyes closed Misunderstanding all you see Especially with what is going on in America today .. Wake up people
 jp33442 wrote:

Another beatles song that got played to death



Well, it lives for me, thank you all the same!
I hear this song the first time (not generally) on RP. Starting with one of my very rarely 10´s, missing the 11 Button in this case. 



 glenMcC wrote:
Not a silly song at all. Strawberry Fields is an actual place located in a suburb of Liverpool . Like many Beatle songs, there is more to it then what you might think at first listen.  Masterpiece.

Strawberry Fields is also a section of Central Park, NY City.  Of course, that was created after Mr Lennon's murder.
Go to Plant City, Florida, and you can literally see strawberry fields forever.
Another beatles song that got played to death
The outro is my favorite part.
"Cranberry Sauce"??
Aw, c'mon, everyone knows it's "I bury Paul", because he was like, dead, ya know?
 Stephen_Phillips wrote:

As mentioned in comments below from 16 years ago, it is the string arrangement and production that makes this rather silly song into a masterpiece.

And who did that? Well it was not one of the Fab Four... it was George Martin who was sometimes referred to as "the fifth Beatle" for that very reason.

 



I concur with all you say.  The horns were also rather remarkable,  
 david16 wrote:

These guys were so before their time it's ridiculous!   



They actually shaped time, musically speaking...
Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane
Let the Lennon-McCartney place name battle begin...
This was the first 45rpm record I ever purchased.
No idea where it may physically be, but the memory is priceless.
 NeilBlanchard wrote:

This dual-mono "stereo" mix doesn't work well on headphones ...



Especially not when one is almost deaf in one ear. I had to keep swapping my phones around to check that the drums were still going!
These guys were so before their time it's ridiculous!   
 Stephen_Phillips wrote:

As mentioned in comments below from 16 years ago, it is the string arrangement and production that makes this rather silly song into a masterpiece.

And who did that? Well it was not one of the Fab Four... it was George Martin who was sometimes referred to as "the fifth Beatle" for that very reason.

 




Not a silly song at all. Strawberry Fields is an actual place located in a suburb of Liverpool . Like many Beatle songs, there is more to it then what you might think at first listen.  Masterpiece.
How does this clearly acknowledged masterpiece have so few comments?  Some tracks on RP have hundreds of ummm...witticisms(?)...and this 30 as of 2022...

So very odd...
This dual-mono "stereo" mix doesn't work well on headphones ...


As mentioned in comments below from 16 years ago, it is the string arrangement and production that makes this rather silly song into a masterpiece.

And who did that? Well it was not one of the Fab Four... it was George Martin who was sometimes referred to as "the fifth Beatle" for that very reason.

 
Always good to hear this one Always 10 A song for life
it's quite hard to believe this song is more than half a century old.  And it's still great every time I hear it.
This song just captures a time and place so special.  Few songs have this power.  Very few.  This is one of them that does accomplish that.
Before I was old enough to fully appreciate this song, the coolest part was always the "I buried Paul" at the end. 

This song is soooo good for the ears...
 
I can already hear this any time I want, I have it on me all the time, and even if I don't, I'd just use Youtube. But I think this is one of those songs that hit you hard when you're not expecting to hear them. I get goosebumps even when I come across this while I'm shuffling my Beatles playlist, so I can't imagine what I'd feel if I hear this on RP out of the blue.
 kurtster wrote:
Can't believe this hasn't been played in nearly 4 years.
 
Kind of funny but I spent a few hours last night listening to all the different versions of this song on Youtube.  Quite a story behind this song, now I know where the two takes are mixed together. 

It just hit the 6th year anniversary of the last time it was played on RP.   I am going to request it.

edit: well, looks like the "request song" link has been removed, guess I won't request it after all.



The Beatles by ~Arbeeroro
©2008-2010 ~Arbeeroro

George, John, Ringo and Paul.
The Beatles.

Awful scan and quite a crude, un-sophistcated image (with a few errors in the drawing/cropping/lyrics) but a very personal piece of artwork for me.

Long story short the Beatles music gave me back my artistic inspiration (what little I had of it in the first place, anyway!)

This is dedicated to their wonderful music (and especially George Harrison who was my favourite of the Fab Four).


 highwindows wrote:
Probably the best single in the universe.
What more can I say?
 
and don't forget the best verse in the universe "...living is easy with eyes closed...."
Can't believe this hasn't been played in nearly 4 years.
Strawberry Fields Forever was inspired by Strawberry Field, which was a Salvation Army home in Liverpool that John Lennon adored.

no comment    -   10.
Instead of 10-godlike I would put 10-Strawberry fieldiesh foreverish Hey, btw, I would be curios to find out why isn't this song aired anymore. 60s pshychedelia not appropriate these days?
Ok, that cinches it- Magical Mystery Tour is officially my favorite Beatle's album.
Such a great and beautiful song by John Lennon even on his demo version of him just on his acoustic guitar!
I can't remember how many times I played the Blue Album on my dad's old turntable as a little kid, just to wait for this song to enchant me once again. More than 16 years later it hasn't lost any of its magic.
Probably the best single in the universe. What more can I say?
i was born one year too late..i never had the privilage of living at the same time, in the same city, as John...no doubt i grew up with him though.. we miss you buddy, rock on...
For the song, Because some twerp had to take him from us.
Rest in Peace John. The world is better place because of you.
One of my favorite Beatles tunes. ...flashback inducing
Come on, for today?
Originally Posted by johndmessner: In addition, I love the classical instruments in the arrangement. They add so much life and sophistication to the song. The music paints a beautiful picture in my mind.
That string arrangement always slays me as well. It makes the song very mysterious. I would have loved to have been in the studio when they were recording that one.
I can\'t believe I am the first to rate and comment on Stawberry Fields. What an honor! I believe this song was pieced together from two or even more different takes of the song. I think George Martin had to speed up one of the sections to make it match with the other. I like the song because to me it is about escapism, a different world. Also it creates a dreamy atmosphere without being depressing. In addition, I love the classical instruments in the arrangement. They add so much life and sophistication to the song. The music paints a beautiful picture in my mind.