[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Great Old Songs You Rarely Hear Anymore - Alchemist - May 15, 2022 - 10:12pm
 
Wordle - daily game - kurtster - May 15, 2022 - 10:10pm
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - Alchemist - May 15, 2022 - 9:47pm
 
Watching My Mind Slip Away... - kurtster - May 15, 2022 - 9:10pm
 
What Did You Do Today? - kurtster - May 15, 2022 - 9:08pm
 
Trump - kcar - May 15, 2022 - 8:14pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - May 15, 2022 - 8:05pm
 
Reccomended System or Powered Speakers - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 15, 2022 - 7:10pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 15, 2022 - 7:06pm
 
TuneIn difficulties - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 15, 2022 - 7:02pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - May 15, 2022 - 6:18pm
 
Terrorist Watch! - Steely_D - May 15, 2022 - 5:17pm
 
Climate Change - Red_Dragon - May 15, 2022 - 1:31pm
 
Spain - Red_Dragon - May 15, 2022 - 11:04am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - oldviolin - May 15, 2022 - 8:05am
 
Get Your Godcast! - Red_Dragon - May 14, 2022 - 4:52pm
 
TV shows you watch - Red_Dragon - May 14, 2022 - 4:03pm
 
Republican Party - rgio - May 14, 2022 - 3:15pm
 
The Abortion Wars - Red_Dragon - May 14, 2022 - 2:20pm
 
Guns - Red_Dragon - May 14, 2022 - 2:08pm
 
Ukraine - Red_Dragon - May 14, 2022 - 1:53pm
 
Finland - Red_Dragon - May 14, 2022 - 11:28am
 
CRAZY Flooding Video! - Red_Dragon - May 14, 2022 - 7:35am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - May 14, 2022 - 7:00am
 
Bluesound MQA stream not working for me - Juancastilo - May 14, 2022 - 6:48am
 
Australia has Disappeared - Red_Dragon - May 14, 2022 - 6:07am
 
The Obituary Page - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 13, 2022 - 8:35pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - Antigone - May 13, 2022 - 5:25pm
 
Counting with Pictures - nightdrive - May 13, 2022 - 2:10pm
 
What is the meaning of this? - oldviolin - May 13, 2022 - 10:39am
 
Bad Poetry - oldviolin - May 13, 2022 - 8:04am
 
The Dragons' Roost - GeneP59 - May 13, 2022 - 7:15am
 
New Music - miamizsun - May 13, 2022 - 6:24am
 
Women in the World - miamizsun - May 13, 2022 - 6:21am
 
2020 Elections - Red_Dragon - May 12, 2022 - 12:34pm
 
NASA & other news from space - GeneP59 - May 12, 2022 - 8:09am
 
George Carlin - GeneP59 - May 12, 2022 - 7:35am
 
Stuff I've Said Out Loud - GeneP59 - May 12, 2022 - 7:25am
 
Flower Pictures - Proclivities - May 12, 2022 - 6:29am
 
What Did You See Today? - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 12, 2022 - 5:47am
 
COVID-19 - miamizsun - May 12, 2022 - 4:48am
 
Russia - miamizsun - May 12, 2022 - 4:36am
 
A motivational quote - Proclivities - May 11, 2022 - 2:01pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - VV - May 11, 2022 - 11:55am
 
Environment - Red_Dragon - May 11, 2022 - 6:04am
 
Dialing 1-800-Manbird - miamizsun - May 11, 2022 - 5:58am
 
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests - Antigone - May 11, 2022 - 5:36am
 
Whatever happened to Taco Wagon? - miamizsun - May 11, 2022 - 4:13am
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - haresfur - May 11, 2022 - 2:05am
 
Things You Thought Today - Red_Dragon - May 10, 2022 - 7:39pm
 
Delicacies: a..k.a.. the Gross Food forum - miamizsun - May 10, 2022 - 2:42pm
 
Back to the 60's - R_P - May 10, 2022 - 1:34pm
 
do you Twitter? - Red_Dragon - May 10, 2022 - 12:52pm
 
"2000 Mules" movie purports to prove 2020 election was st... - Lazy8 - May 10, 2022 - 12:35pm
 
My nickname - miamizsun - May 10, 2022 - 10:28am
 
DQ (as in 'Daily Quote') - Proclivities - May 9, 2022 - 1:58pm
 
RightWingNutZ - Isabeau - May 9, 2022 - 1:01pm
 
Paul McCartney - Steely_D - May 9, 2022 - 12:42pm
 
Supreme Court Rulings - Isabeau - May 9, 2022 - 12:15pm
 
FLAC Streaming - BillG - May 9, 2022 - 8:00am
 
RP Cryptocurrency support - reneng - May 8, 2022 - 8:49am
 
Mother's Day - miamizsun - May 8, 2022 - 6:02am
 
Don't Make Me Laugh - KurtfromLaQuinta - May 7, 2022 - 11:34am
 
Poetry Forum - Antigone - May 7, 2022 - 7:11am
 
Those Lovable Policemen - Red_Dragon - May 6, 2022 - 5:43am
 
Free Speech? - rgio - May 6, 2022 - 4:11am
 
Hockey + Fantasy Hockey - GeneP59 - May 5, 2022 - 3:56pm
 
Amazon Products (May Contain Spam) - Red_Dragon - May 5, 2022 - 2:26pm
 
Dreams - Tales from your sleep - Antigone - May 4, 2022 - 4:06pm
 
China - miamizsun - May 4, 2022 - 2:00pm
 
Why Democracy? - thisbody - May 4, 2022 - 12:08pm
 
Outstanding Covers - maryte - May 4, 2022 - 10:22am
 
Music News - Red_Dragon - May 4, 2022 - 9:05am
 
~ Have a good joke you can post? ~ - Bill_J - May 3, 2022 - 6:58pm
 
Ask an Atheist - thisbody - May 3, 2022 - 4:36pm
 
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » Breaking News Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 688, 689, 690, 691, 692  Next
Post to this Topic
hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 4:20pm

Rod is standing in front of his house and making a speech. He's taking it well, and still claiming that it was just a set up job.
Servo

Servo Avatar

Location: Down on the Farm
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 4:16pm

 dionysius wrote:
(Blagojevich) stands convicted by his own words, and by his own bizarre refusal afterwards to explain himself coherently or play by any known rules.
 
The same can be said for Daschle, and with a whole lot of evidence to back it up in Daschle's case.


dionysius

dionysius Avatar

Location: The People's Republic of Austin
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 4:05pm

 Servo wrote:

You say that in jest (and ignorance), but as a resident of Illinois I've been infuriated by a General Assembly that has refused to do its job on a regular basis.

Right now the news is talking about "now Illinois can do something about its budget deficit", as if it was the Governor's job to submit a balance budget to the Governor.  No...that job is, and always has been that of the General Assembly!

In this game of political brinkmanship, Tom Daschle and his cronies won, and the People of Illinois lost.

 

In the scales of ethics and responsibility, let's put Daschle in one side and Blago in the other, and...let the psychostasia begin!

Blagojevich can play the populist friend of the people all he likes. The revuslion against him is practically universal. He stands convicted by his own words, and by his own bizarre refusal afterwards to explain himself coherently or play by any known rules. We're not discussing Marlon Brando, here (though we are talking similar eccenticities). There is, and should be, a severe standard applied to prominent public servants. They serve at our pleasure. When they screw up—and Blago did so, however you want to slice it—it's dulce et decorum that they go, and go swiftly.  
Servo

Servo Avatar

Location: Down on the Farm
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:57pm

 Beaker wrote:
  I think you should demand his "political inferiors" respect Blago's authoritah!
 
You say that in jest (and ignorance), but as a resident of Illinois I've been infuriated by a General Assembly that has refused to do its job on a regular basis.

Right now the news is talking about "now Illinois can do something about its budget deficit", as if it was the Governor's job to submit a balance budget to the Governor.  No...that job is, and always has been that of the General Assembly!

In this game of political brinkmanship, Tom Daschle and his cronies won, and the People of Illinois lost.


Xeric

Xeric Avatar

Location: Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:50pm

 hippiechick wrote:

Whether or not he is or not, he deserves his day in court, and to be innocent until proven guilty.
 
He is not innocent of being far too arrogant and much too spectacularly stoopit to hold public office.  Good riddance, technically guilty or not.

EleventhMan

EleventhMan Avatar

Gender: Female


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:50pm

I gotta wonder why he is just  NOW.....on the last day of the proceedings...appearing?  If he wanted the chance to call witnesses, explain himself, etc. why didn't he do so when he had the opportunity?  Instead he chose to go on any and every TV show that would have him....a very odd decision it seems to me.  And why did his defense attorney quit right before the proceedings?   Lots of unanswered REAL questions, that so far Mr. B is not answering....except with smoke and mirrors.  

/ my 2 cents
zipper

zipper Avatar



Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:49pm

 Beaker wrote:

  I think you should demand his "political inferiors" respect Blago's authoritah!
 
ha! good advice, Beak. {#Lol}
Servo

Servo Avatar

Location: Down on the Farm
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:49pm

 NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:
Just a minute, What makes you think he is not a bad apple?
 
Well, he has kept his campaign promises.  He has been a trailblazer in health care issues — Illinois was the first state to guarantee health care for children.  Etc. etc. etc.

Before Blagojevich, Illinois state income taxes were actually higher than federal income taxes.  That practice stopped under Blagojevich.

This whole affair reminds me of "The Caine Mutiny".  Certainly the testimony of Governor Blagojevich at his (mock) trial bore an uncomfortable to Captain Queeg's testimony scene.

The moral of "The Caine Mutiny" was that maybe Queeg became unbalanced, but he was pushed; he didn't jump.


NoEnzLefttoSplit

NoEnzLefttoSplit Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:48pm

 hippiechick wrote:

Whether or not he is or not, he deserves his day in court, and to be innocent until proven guilty.
 
fair enough I'll go with that.
just don't put me on the jury cos I'm kind of 2 dimensional in these things.

hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:40pm

 NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:

Just a minute, What makes you think he is not a bad apple?
 
Whether or not he is or not, he deserves his day in court, and to be innocent until proven guilty.

NoEnzLefttoSplit

NoEnzLefttoSplit Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:37pm

 Servo wrote:

No, that is not a foregone conclusion.  In fact, the underwhelming content of the tapes revealed once again that Patrick Fitzgerald lied to us.  It's looking more and more like Fitzgerald knew from the beginning that there isn't enough evidence to secure an indictment, much less a conviction.

Meanwhile, the Legislature of the State of Illinois, quite appropriately in my opinion, has exercised it's (state) constitutional right in impeaching Blagojevich. You, of course, cannot argue that the legislature did not have the right to do so.

Oh yes I can!  There is NOTHING in the Constitution of the United States of America or the Illinois constitution that says that it's an inalienable right of legislatures to do whatever they please.  If anything, it's the other way around!

It's NOT a right.  It's not even a privilege!  It is an absence of prohibition.  And in my opinion, the absence of prohibition is not a tacit power.

This is a "possibly" dishonest employee being fired.

The problem with that is that the firing was not done by his bosses, namely me and the other people of Illinois who hired him.  Being "fired" by his political inferiors has a name: mutiny.

 
Just a minute, What makes you think he is not a bad apple?

Servo

Servo Avatar

Location: Down on the Farm
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:32pm

 dionysius wrote:
You're right, Rod Blagojevich has not yet been convicted of any of these crimes in a court of law. That is yet to come, and it will come.
 
No, that is not a foregone conclusion.  In fact, the underwhelming content of the tapes revealed once again that Patrick Fitzgerald lied to us.  It's looking more and more like Fitzgerald knew from the beginning that there isn't enough evidence to secure an indictment, much less a conviction.

Meanwhile, the Legislature of the State of Illinois, quite appropriately in my opinion, has exercised it's (state) constitutional right in impeaching Blagojevich. You, of course, cannot argue that the legislature did not have the right to do so.

Oh yes I can!  There is NOTHING in the Constitution of the United States of America or the Illinois constitution that says that it's an inalienable right of legislatures to do whatever they please.  If anything, it's the other way around!

It's NOT a right.  It's not even a privilege!  It is an absence of prohibition.  And in my opinion, the absence of prohibition is not a tacit power.

This is a "possibly" dishonest employee being fired.

The problem with that is that the firing was not done by his bosses, namely me and the other people of Illinois who hired him.  Being "fired" by his political inferiors has a name: mutiny.


Servo

Servo Avatar

Location: Down on the Farm
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:19pm

 hippiechick wrote:
All security detail for the gov are getting in their cars and splitting. One of them took a car seat out of the back of the security van, and put it in his garage.
 
Did you see the unmarked state Crown Vic at the corner leave (without using a turn signal {#Rolleyes}), and a marked Chicago Police Crown Vic swoop in to take its place? {#Lol}


dionysius

dionysius Avatar

Location: The People's Republic of Austin
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:17pm

 Servo wrote:

It's always good when we practice what the Constitution demands.  Rod Balgojevich is still innocent as far as the law is concerned.  Those who heard the tapes were not convinced that they contained indicting evidence.

Those who are so quick to call others nasty things are the first to object when the tables are turned.  And when that happens, they deserve no sympathy.
 

You're right, Rod Blagojevich has not yet been convicted of any of these crimes in a court of law. That is yet to come, and it will come. Meanwhile, the Legislature of the State of Illinois, quite appropriately in my opinion, has exercised it's (state) constitutional right in impeaching Blagojevich. You, of course, cannot argue that the legislature did not have the right to do so. It can do so for any reason it pleases, at any time. This is not a criminal trial. This is a "possibly" dishonest employee being fired.


Servo

Servo Avatar

Location: Down on the Farm
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:14pm

 hippiechick wrote:
I personally think that he screwed over, despite his cocky attitude. No real evidence, no trial.
 
Well, he got his political trial.  But to call that anything but a kangaroo court would be a lie.

If they deny his pensions, this will deny him his civil right to a fair trial, since he will not be able to pay for defense counsel that's comparable to the DOJ onslaught.


hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:13pm

All security detail for the gov are getting in their cars and splitting. One of them took a car seat out of the back of the security van, and put it in his garage.
hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:09pm

 Welly wrote:


Have you been watching Gerlado Rivera? {#Wink}

 
Well, I did see that, but really, what was the evidence? Besides his crazy phone call, we haven't seen any other proof of wrong doing.

Servo

Servo Avatar

Location: Down on the Farm
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:08pm

 aflanigan wrote:
It's always good when we can promptly rid ourselves of corrupt, incompetent, and/or lawbreaking politicians.
 
It's always good when we practice what the Constitution demands.  Rod Balgojevich is still innocent as far as the law is concerned.  Those who heard the tapes were not convinced that they contained indicting evidence.

Those who are so quick to call others nasty things are the first to object when the tables are turned.  And when that happens, they deserve no sympathy.

Welly

Welly Avatar

Location: Lotusland
Gender: Female


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:06pm

 hippiechick wrote:

I personally think that he screwed over, despite his cocky attitude. No real evidence, no trial.
 

Have you been watching Gerlado Rivera? {#Wink}
hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Jan 29, 2009 - 3:02pm

 dionysius wrote:
Here I'm going to agree with Beaker, and wave a happy buh-bye to Blago. He is/was a corrupt politician, blatantly guilty of simony.  He had extreme balls in trying to brazen his way through this, and you've almost got to admire that, up to a point. But he is a criminal, and deserves to go away. To a PRISON.

I am not happy that he insisted on making a senatorial appointment even after he was unmasked. Burris may or may not be a good choice, but Blagojevich forfeited his right, really, to make that choice for the people of Illinois once his corruption was made known. Blagojevich is a demagogic hack, a hideously corrupt official, a shame to the Democratic Party, a fool in denial, and a personal sleazebag.

Good, good riddance. Good job, Illinois, in impeaching him. Thankfully we can get on with more important things than this petty soap opera.

 
I personally think that he screwed over, despite his cocky attitude. No real evidence, no trial.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 688, 689, 690, 691, 692  Next