[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Baseball, anyone? - kcar - Oct 18, 2021 - 9:40pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - Lazy8 - Oct 18, 2021 - 9:33pm
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - Coaxial - Oct 18, 2021 - 8:32pm
 
Automotive Lust - islander - Oct 18, 2021 - 6:31pm
 
The Obituary Page - Red_Dragon - Oct 18, 2021 - 6:23pm
 
Philly - oldviolin - Oct 18, 2021 - 5:50pm
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Oct 18, 2021 - 5:44pm
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - Lazy8 - Oct 18, 2021 - 5:10pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - GeneP59 - Oct 18, 2021 - 4:21pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Oct 18, 2021 - 3:45pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - oldviolin - Oct 18, 2021 - 10:08am
 
What is the meaning of this? - oldviolin - Oct 18, 2021 - 9:58am
 
Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy - Lazy8 - Oct 18, 2021 - 7:03am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Oct 18, 2021 - 6:18am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Oct 18, 2021 - 5:28am
 
RightWingNutZ - R_P - Oct 17, 2021 - 4:22pm
 
What did you have for dinner? - Ohmsen - Oct 17, 2021 - 3:56pm
 
Dreams - Tales from your sleep - Ohmsen - Oct 17, 2021 - 2:51pm
 
China - R_P - Oct 17, 2021 - 2:29pm
 
If not RP, what are you listening to right now? - Ohmsen - Oct 17, 2021 - 1:52pm
 
Share a Website you love or hate… - Steely_D - Oct 17, 2021 - 1:50pm
 
Outstanding Covers - Ohmsen - Oct 17, 2021 - 1:46pm
 
World Music - Ohmsen - Oct 17, 2021 - 1:38pm
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - rhahl - Oct 17, 2021 - 1:30pm
 
More reggae, less Marley please - Ohmsen - Oct 17, 2021 - 12:45pm
 
And the good news is.... - Steely_D - Oct 17, 2021 - 9:50am
 
Bitcoin - westslope - Oct 17, 2021 - 9:17am
 
What are you afraid of? - Antigone - Oct 17, 2021 - 8:18am
 
More of Editors - TheKing2 - Oct 17, 2021 - 8:00am
 
Have you planned your Halloween costume yet?? - miamizsun - Oct 17, 2021 - 6:32am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Oct 16, 2021 - 7:52pm
 
True Confessions - Red_Dragon - Oct 16, 2021 - 4:49pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - haresfur - Oct 16, 2021 - 3:54pm
 
Live Music - R_P - Oct 16, 2021 - 3:10pm
 
songs that ROCK! - Ohmsen - Oct 16, 2021 - 2:30pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - Red_Dragon - Oct 16, 2021 - 1:28pm
 
Trump - Red_Dragon - Oct 16, 2021 - 1:08pm
 
Oregon - politics - westslope - Oct 16, 2021 - 9:24am
 
That's good advice - oldviolin - Oct 16, 2021 - 8:00am
 
How To Be Politically Correct, A Primer - miamizsun - Oct 16, 2021 - 7:49am
 
Regarding dogs - Antigone - Oct 16, 2021 - 5:20am
 
Things You Thought Today - Red_Dragon - Oct 15, 2021 - 9:16pm
 
Great Old Songs You Rarely Hear Anymore - KurtfromLaQuinta - Oct 15, 2021 - 8:26pm
 
Best.Idea.Ever. - Red_Dragon - Oct 15, 2021 - 7:37pm
 
Apps turning itself on at night!night! - jarro - Oct 15, 2021 - 6:16pm
 
Joe Biden - R_P - Oct 15, 2021 - 4:32pm
 
What Did You See Today? - Antigone - Oct 15, 2021 - 3:37pm
 
Britain - davidrsim - Oct 15, 2021 - 12:12pm
 
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone - oldviolin - Oct 15, 2021 - 12:09pm
 
Get the Quote - primm - Oct 15, 2021 - 11:48am
 
Oh GOD, they're GAY! - miamizsun - Oct 15, 2021 - 8:21am
 
Democratic Party - westslope - Oct 15, 2021 - 8:03am
 
Rolling Stones - sirdroseph - Oct 15, 2021 - 3:18am
 
BillyGee's Greatest Segues - ScottN - Oct 14, 2021 - 8:31pm
 
Taxes, Taxes, Taxes (and Taxes) - islander - Oct 14, 2021 - 4:17pm
 
Derplahoma! - Red_Dragon - Oct 14, 2021 - 1:59pm
 
Health Care - Red_Dragon - Oct 14, 2021 - 9:03am
 
Strange signs, marquees, billboards, etc. - Ohmsen - Oct 14, 2021 - 8:03am
 
NORGE (Norway) - Ohmsen - Oct 14, 2021 - 6:39am
 
Economix - Ohmsen - Oct 14, 2021 - 6:12am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Oct 14, 2021 - 6:10am
 
Unresearched Conspiracy Theories - Ohmsen - Oct 14, 2021 - 6:01am
 
Unquiet Minds - Mental Health Forum - miamizsun - Oct 14, 2021 - 4:45am
 
Terrorist Watch! - Red_Dragon - Oct 14, 2021 - 4:37am
 
Africa!! - sirdroseph - Oct 14, 2021 - 4:30am
 
Australia has Disappeared - whatshisname - Oct 13, 2021 - 6:55pm
 
Alexa won't play RP except on Tune-in - jarro - Oct 13, 2021 - 12:47pm
 
Shuttle, ISS and other Real Space Ships - ScottFromWyoming - Oct 13, 2021 - 11:19am
 
kurtster's quiet vinyl - black321 - Oct 13, 2021 - 11:16am
 
TV shows you watch - marko86 - Oct 13, 2021 - 9:08am
 
What Makes You Cry :) ? - Jiggz - Oct 13, 2021 - 8:22am
 
THREE WORDS - Ohmsen - Oct 12, 2021 - 10:56pm
 
Immigration - Ohmsen - Oct 12, 2021 - 10:42pm
 
possible to ban an artist from my streams ? - oldviolin - Oct 12, 2021 - 8:11pm
 
Free Stuff & Swap - oldviolin - Oct 12, 2021 - 8:10pm
 
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » Taxes, Taxes, Taxes (and Taxes) Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Post to this Topic
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Oct 15, 2020 - 11:54am

SFW:   Normally three "fixes" or upgrades would resuscitate an older laptop.

- larger, faster SSD
- more RAM
- new cooling fan(s) if required

For any PC workstation or laptop, regardless of the specific OS, a clean re-install of the operating system (OS) can make a huge difference.  Tedious but usually fairly straightforward.

If you are waiting for the latest and greatest from apple, you will pay top dollar.  The bleeding edge is not inexpensive.    Me thinks that apple laptop architecture from a year or two ago would probably be more than fast enough.    The SSDs from a couple of years ago are much, much faster than the earlier SSDs.

If you still like the keyboard and the monitor on the laptop, a new SSD might keep it 'fresh' for a bunch more years.   Then, I live in the PC world.  Parts for apple machines might be much, much more expensive.
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 13, 2020 - 11:39am

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
My business laptop is dying. Has been for 18 months or so; last summer I tried to get some repairs done and all the possible repair places were "ooh, you don't want to know how much that will cost." So I have been nursing it and it's been fine and I can probably get another year out of it if I need to. But this time of year, I look around for things I'm going to buy anyway because taxes, and it would really help to put that laptop on this year's expenses, I think. 

The only problem is, MacRumors says it's a particularly bad time to buy, because an upgrade is overdue, the new generation is supposed to run cooler and longer on non-Intel chips. And they *might* announce them in November. Or not at all.  It's frustrating.

But also not because the new OS is incompatible with the old Adobe software I have. So that sucks but it came out in *holy crap* 2012. Time to upgrade, yep. *sigh*
 

hey scott you may see something for prime day/apple promo
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 13, 2020 - 11:01am

My business laptop is dying. Has been for 18 months or so; last summer I tried to get some repairs done and all the possible repair places were "ooh, you don't want to know how much that will cost." So I have been nursing it and it's been fine and I can probably get another year out of it if I need to. But this time of year, I look around for things I'm going to buy anyway because taxes, and it would really help to put that laptop on this year's expenses, I think. 

The only problem is, MacRumors says it's a particularly bad time to buy, because an upgrade is overdue, the new generation is supposed to run cooler and longer on non-Intel chips. And they *might* announce them in November. Or not at all.  It's frustrating.

But also not because the new OS is incompatible with the old Adobe software I have. So that sucks but it came out in *holy crap* 2012. Time to upgrade, yep. *sigh*
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: May 24, 2020 - 2:35pm



 rgio wrote:


 buddy wrote:


 kurtster wrote:

There are more links, one of which takes you to the WSJ that comes to the same conclusion.
 
Don’t forget Faux News, I’m sure it supports your position as always.

 
Tax is a combination of taxable base and rate.  The income tax rate is what started this conversation, and is the easy data element to compare.  The taxable base is much more complicated.  If you at the combination since the 50's, the costs to the top tier are down, but only (not meant as a judgment) 5%-10%.  

The problem with the focus of the chart is that it ignores the "other" taxes now collected.  Income taxes are only about one-third of the total revenue that governments receive.  Social taxes, business taxes, and value-added taxes (sales tax, real estate tax, gas taxes, vice taxes (cigarettes & alcohol), tariffs) make up the rest.  These taxes are generally at flat rates, which have gone up dramatically over the years.  

The percentage of personal income that goes toward all taxes has increased dramatically more for lower-income families than it has for the top half of Americans.  Looking at a few rates doesn't tell the story.  

There is no doubt the rules are tilted in favor of the wealthy.  In NJ for example, every fast food meal is taxed at 6.625%.  Meanwhile, NJ has a limit of $20k of tax on a yacht.  Go buy yourself a $500k boat, and it'll cost you $20k instead of the $33k it would cost buying happy meals.  The house down the street from me saves tens of thousands of dollars per year in taxes because he claims "farm rates" on his 40 acres by selling $200 worth of wood per year to someone.   

Anyone suggesting tax policy has evenly apportioned the US cost increases since the 1950's is either ignorant or dishonest.  
 


rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: May 24, 2020 - 9:29am



 buddy wrote:


 kurtster wrote:

There are more links, one of which takes you to the WSJ that comes to the same conclusion.
 
Don’t forget Faux News, I’m sure it supports your position as always.

 
Tax is a combination of taxable base and rate.  The income tax rate is what started this conversation, and is the easy data element to compare.  The taxable base is much more complicated.  If you at the combination since the 50's, the costs to the top tier are down, but only (not meant as a judgment) 5%-10%.  

The problem with the focus of the chart is that it ignores the "other" taxes now collected.  Income taxes are only about one-third of the total revenue that governments receive.  Social taxes, business taxes, and value-added taxes (sales tax, real estate tax, gas taxes, vice taxes (cigarettes & alcohol), tariffs) make up the rest.  These taxes are generally at flat rates, which have gone up dramatically over the years.  

The percentage of personal income that goes toward all taxes has increased dramatically more for lower-income families than it has for the top half of Americans.  Looking at a few rates doesn't tell the story.  

There is no doubt the rules are tilted in favor of the wealthy.  In NJ for example, every fast food meal is taxed at 6.625%.  Meanwhile, NJ has a limit of $20k of tax on a yacht.  Go buy yourself a $500k boat, and it'll cost you $20k instead of the $33k it would cost buying happy meals.  The house down the street from me saves tens of thousands of dollars per year in taxes because he claims "farm rates" on his 40 acres by selling $200 worth of wood per year to someone.   

Anyone suggesting tax policy has evenly apportioned the US cost increases since the 1950's is either ignorant or dishonest.  
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: May 24, 2020 - 9:09am

buddy wrote:
Don’t forget Faux News, I’m sure it supports your position as always.

It's a simple statement of fact. It's true or it's not, doesn't matter where you read it.

I don't have a WSJ subscription so I had to read the article on Phil Magness' web site. His methodology is clear and his criticism is straightforward and easy to follow. His article fits in the classical tradition of intellectual inquiry: someone makes a claim, someone else challenges it, data is produced, data is criticized, multiple minds examine the problem and we get closer to the truth.

In this case it appears that the original author cherry-picked data to reach the conclusion he wanted and other economists called him on it. That (original) conclusion appeals to you, but that doesn't make it true or the analysis honest.

That news came to you (and RP) via a vector you (and RP) dismiss out of hand, apparently without examining. This ought to be a lesson to you: your biases have kept you believing something false. Not an unusual situation on the topic of taxation; misinformation abounds, and ideology often trumps data in what people believe.  When a conclusion matches your prejudices it's all the more reason to examine that conclusion.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: May 23, 2020 - 7:51pm

 R_P wrote:
 kurtster wrote:
Debunked.  In the comments you did not read.  Try again.
 
A comment you cherry-picked (must have had some special appeal to a supposed "poor person" or maybe it was just the first comment that disagreed) proves it's debunked by "serious economists?" Hardly.
 
There are more links, one of which takes you to the WSJ that comes to the same conclusion.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: May 23, 2020 - 11:34am

 kurtster wrote:
Debunked.  In the comments you did not read.  Try again.
 
A comment you cherry-picked (must have had some special appeal to a supposed "poor person" or maybe it was just the first comment that disagreed) proves it's debunked by "serious economists?" Hardly.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: May 23, 2020 - 8:38am

 Red_Dragon wrote: 

Debunked.  In the comments you did not read.  Try again.

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: May 23, 2020 - 7:16am



 Red_Dragon wrote:
 

IS IT TRICKLING DOWN YET? 

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: May 23, 2020 - 6:15am

This is messed up.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 4:26pm

 steeler wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:


 steeler wrote:
Tried the past 2 days to use the IRS Get My Payment portal to enter direct deposit information for the economic stimulus checks but keep getting the “Status Unavailable” message after entering SSN, address, zip code. Not sure of the problem (maybe formatting for address), and am hearing/reading that many are having this or other problems accessing the portal.

Anyone know anything about this or had success using the portal? 
 

i thought i heard a tax professional say that if they have your direct deposit info from the previous year/return they'll use it

i pay every year so i tried to log on and after a bit, i got on but it stopped me with a message like info entered didn't match their records

i have filed and paid for 2019 but the system may not reflect it, so i may have to use my 2018 info

friends and clients have rec'd stimulus so it is going out

just not sure of the order they're using

good luck and stay safe
 
I filed 2018; have not filed 2019, so IRS should use 2018. I wanted to enter my direct deposit information because did not have it on 2018 return, but, as I said, I cannot get past the entry of SSN, address, and zip code. Keeps saying Status Not Available at this time.  IRS site says this means certain things, like not being eligible, but none if those apply.  Many others apparently having same problem, but many others say they have used portal without problem. Can’t figure it out.

thanks, though.


 
Get the same message for both of us.  Filed for 2018 but not 2019 yet so the 2018 will keep us in the loop.

Who knows how it works.  We both have west coast SSN's that start with 5 and the last name starts with W.  Low numbers first, alphabetical first ?  You got me.

My bank has a page with the IRS link on it and says that going forward the payments will be issued on Wednesdays.

Still waiting for my unemployment to get processed, too.
BlueHeronDruid

BlueHeronDruid Avatar

Location: planting flowers


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 10:34am



 rgio wrote:
 
Standard SOP for new, smaller government under Trump:  Ready, Fire, Aim.

Stimulus should be sent to people who have lost their ability to earn in 2020.  I won't qualify for a payment even though I've been looking for a job for over a year.  My 2019 taxes aren't filed because I've been fighting an error-filled W-2 from a past employer that was finally resolved Wednesday night.

My daughter, who at 24 makes less than the single threshold by less than $1,000 (thanks to significant 401(k) contributions and stock options), is getting a check.  Her startup is actually thriving in this, and her job hasn't been impacted at all by this.  She doesn't deserve / need help...but help is on the way.

The money should have gone to the 20-30 million people now collecting unemployment.  No unemployment filing...no money.
 
Agreed. We got our "stimulus" money on the 15th, and we certainly didn't need it. Passed it on to dear friends who are up the creek with no paddle. Not sure if they'll get anything from the Treasury for the same reason as you.

Upped our Food Bank donation too. At least our community can make sure everyone is fed.

rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 8:31am



 steeler wrote:
Tried the past 2 days and today to use the IRS Get My Payment portal to enter direct deposit information for the economic stimulus checks but keep getting the “Status Unavailable” message after entering SSN, address, zip code. Not sure of the problem (maybe formatting for address), and am hearing/reading that many are having this or other problems accessing the portal.

Anyone know anything about this or had success using the portal? 
 
Standard SOP for new, smaller government under Trump:  Ready, Fire, Aim.

Stimulus should be sent to people who have lost their ability to earn in 2020.  I won't qualify for a payment even though I've been looking for a job for over a year.  My 2019 taxes aren't filed because I've been fighting an error-filled W-2 from a past employer that was finally resolved Wednesday night.

My daughter, who at 24 makes less than the single threshold by less than $1,000 (thanks to significant 401(k) contributions and stock options), is getting a check.  Her startup is actually thriving in this, and her job hasn't been impacted at all by this.  She doesn't deserve / need help...but help is on the way.

The money should have gone to the 20-30 million people now collecting unemployment.  No unemployment filing...no money.
islander

islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 7:50am



 miamizsun wrote:


 steeler wrote:



I filed 2018; have not filed 2019, so IRS should use 2018. I wanted to enter my direct deposit information because did not have it on 2018 return, but, as I said, I cannot get past the entry of SSN, address, and zip code. Keeps saying Status Not Available at this time.  IRS site says this means certain things, like not being eligible, but none if those apply.  Many others apparently having same problem, but many others say they have used portal without problem. Can’t figure it out.

thanks, though.




 

maybe go back to the beginning

scrub your browser and grab your 2018 return ('m thinking they ask for agi) and your check book

try an off time

and see if there is any software conflict

i'd normally say give them a call but they're way underwater

has anyone from the irs revealed their plan for implementing these payments

by ss number, income, etc.?




 

Probably by voting record, Loyalist first, high potential swing voters next, everyone else eventually, maybe. 
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 7:06am



 steeler wrote:



I filed 2018; have not filed 2019, so IRS should use 2018. I wanted to enter my direct deposit information because did not have it on 2018 return, but, as I said, I cannot get past the entry of SSN, address, and zip code. Keeps saying Status Not Available at this time.  IRS site says this means certain things, like not being eligible, but none if those apply.  Many others apparently having same problem, but many others say they have used portal without problem. Can’t figure it out.

thanks, though.




 

maybe go back to the beginning

scrub your browser and grab your 2018 return ('m thinking they ask for agi) and your check book

try an off time

and see if there is any software conflict

i'd normally say give them a call but they're way underwater

has anyone from the irs revealed their plan for implementing these payments

by ss number, income, etc.?




steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 6:54am



 miamizsun wrote:


 steeler wrote:
Tried the past 2 days to use the IRS Get My Payment portal to enter direct deposit information for the economic stimulus checks but keep getting the “Status Unavailable” message after entering SSN, address, zip code. Not sure of the problem (maybe formatting for address), and am hearing/reading that many are having this or other problems accessing the portal.

Anyone know anything about this or had success using the portal? 

 

i thought i heard a tax professional say that if they have your direct deposit info from the previous year/return they'll use it

i pay every year so i tried to log on and after a bit, i got on but it stopped me with a message like info entered didn't match their records

i have filed and paid for 2019 but the system may not reflect it, so i may have to use my 2018 info

friends and clients have rec'd stimulus so it is going out

just not sure of the order they're using

good luck and stay safe
 
I filed 2018; have not filed 2019, so IRS should use 2018. I wanted to enter my direct deposit information because did not have it on 2018 return, but, as I said, I cannot get past the entry of SSN, address, and zip code. Keeps saying Status Not Available at this time.  IRS site says this means certain things, like not being eligible, but none if those apply.  Many others apparently having same problem, but many others say they have used portal without problem. Can’t figure it out.

thanks, though.




sunybuny

sunybuny Avatar

Location: The West & Best Coast of FLA
Gender: Female


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 6:54am

Ours arrived on Wednesday into the acc9ount we use for refunds. Nice to pay some big emergency bills.

 miamizsun wrote:


 steeler wrote:
Tried the past 2 days to use the IRS Get My Payment portal to enter direct deposit information for the economic stimulus checks but keep getting the “Status Unavailable” message after entering SSN, address, zip code. Not sure of the problem (maybe formatting for address), and am hearing/reading that many are having this or other problems accessing the portal.

Anyone know anything about this or had success using the portal? 

 

i thought i heard a tax professional say that if they have your direct deposit info from the previous year/return they'll use it

i pay every year so i tried to log on and after a bit, i got on but it stopped me with a message like info entered didn't match their records

i have filed and paid for 2019 but the system may not reflect it, so i may have to use my 2018 info

friends and clients have rec'd stimulus so it is going out

just not sure of the order they're using

good luck and stay safe
 


miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 6:42am



 steeler wrote:
Tried the past 2 days to use the IRS Get My Payment portal to enter direct deposit information for the economic stimulus checks but keep getting the “Status Unavailable” message after entering SSN, address, zip code. Not sure of the problem (maybe formatting for address), and am hearing/reading that many are having this or other problems accessing the portal.

Anyone know anything about this or had success using the portal? 

 

i thought i heard a tax professional say that if they have your direct deposit info from the previous year/return they'll use it

i pay every year so i tried to log on and after a bit, i got on but it stopped me with a message like info entered didn't match their records

i have filed and paid for 2019 but the system may not reflect it, so i may have to use my 2018 info

friends and clients have rec'd stimulus so it is going out

just not sure of the order they're using

good luck and stay safe
steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 6:03am

Tried the past 2 days and today to use the IRS Get My Payment portal to enter direct deposit information for the economic stimulus checks but keep getting the “Status Unavailable” message after entering SSN, address, zip code. Not sure of the problem (maybe formatting for address), and am hearing/reading that many are having this or other problems accessing the portal.

Anyone know anything about this or had success using the portal? 
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 73, 74, 75  Next