[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Prog Rockers Anonymous - Beaker - Jun 22, 2024 - 11:37am
 
Song of the Day - oldviolin - Jun 22, 2024 - 11:17am
 
Wordle - daily game - rgio - Jun 22, 2024 - 11:13am
 
NYTimes Connections - Steely_D - Jun 22, 2024 - 11:08am
 
Joe Biden - Steely_D - Jun 22, 2024 - 10:57am
 
Things You Thought Today - islander - Jun 22, 2024 - 10:41am
 
Things I Saw Today... - Steely_D - Jun 22, 2024 - 9:42am
 
Some bands or songs are recurring too much in Rock channe... - mlebihan29 - Jun 22, 2024 - 9:26am
 
Fox Spews - R_P - Jun 22, 2024 - 9:19am
 
NY Times Strands - maryte - Jun 22, 2024 - 8:54am
 
Israel - R_P - Jun 22, 2024 - 8:14am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Jun 22, 2024 - 7:13am
 
Sonos - thatslongformud - Jun 22, 2024 - 6:18am
 
Trump - steeler - Jun 22, 2024 - 4:49am
 
Name My Band - DaveInSaoMiguel - Jun 22, 2024 - 4:44am
 
TV shows you watch - R_P - Jun 21, 2024 - 5:53pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - conniemusic - Jun 21, 2024 - 4:52pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - thisbody - Jun 21, 2024 - 4:26pm
 
Too much classic rock lately? - thisbody - Jun 21, 2024 - 4:01pm
 
Girls Just Want to Have Fun - oldviolin - Jun 21, 2024 - 2:22pm
 
Musky Mythology - R_P - Jun 21, 2024 - 12:26pm
 
2024 Elections! - R_P - Jun 21, 2024 - 12:20pm
 
Electronic Music - Manbird - Jun 21, 2024 - 12:14pm
 
LeftWingNutZ - Steely_D - Jun 21, 2024 - 8:07am
 
The Obituary Page - ColdMiser - Jun 21, 2024 - 7:56am
 
RightWingNutZ - Red_Dragon - Jun 20, 2024 - 6:39pm
 
Basketball - GeneP59 - Jun 20, 2024 - 4:53pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - Antigone - Jun 20, 2024 - 4:04pm
 
USA! USA! USA! - R_P - Jun 20, 2024 - 2:10pm
 
Shall We Dance? - Steely_D - Jun 20, 2024 - 1:18pm
 
Predictions - oldviolin - Jun 20, 2024 - 11:18am
 
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone - oldviolin - Jun 20, 2024 - 11:10am
 
Ukraine - R_P - Jun 20, 2024 - 10:41am
 
Just Wrong - ColdMiser - Jun 20, 2024 - 7:43am
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Jun 20, 2024 - 7:27am
 
Pink Floyd Set? - Coaxial - Jun 20, 2024 - 5:46am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - heinlein2302 - Jun 20, 2024 - 2:46am
 
Whatever happened to Taco Wagon? - Coaxial - Jun 19, 2024 - 6:14pm
 
favorite love songs - oldviolin - Jun 19, 2024 - 3:09pm
 
Outstanding Covers - pope183 - Jun 19, 2024 - 2:50pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Jun 19, 2024 - 12:34pm
 
June 2024 Photo Theme - Eyes - MrDill - Jun 19, 2024 - 11:50am
 
SCOTUS - ColdMiser - Jun 19, 2024 - 7:15am
 
20+ year listeners? - islander - Jun 18, 2024 - 7:41pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - rgio - Jun 18, 2024 - 5:02pm
 
Other Medical Stuff - miamizsun - Jun 18, 2024 - 2:35pm
 
Hello from Greece! - miamizsun - Jun 18, 2024 - 2:35pm
 
Europe - R_P - Jun 18, 2024 - 9:33am
 
What did you have for dinner? - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 18, 2024 - 8:18am
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 16, 2024 - 8:57pm
 
What Did You See Today? - Manbird - Jun 16, 2024 - 2:39pm
 
Geomorphology - kurtster - Jun 16, 2024 - 1:29pm
 
Artificial Intelligence - thisbody - Jun 16, 2024 - 10:53am
 
The Chomsky / Zinn Reader - thisbody - Jun 16, 2024 - 10:42am
 
The Dragons' Roost - oldviolin - Jun 16, 2024 - 9:35am
 
Football, soccer, futbol, calcio... - thisbody - Jun 16, 2024 - 8:35am
 
No stream after station ID - arlen.nelson969 - Jun 15, 2024 - 2:29pm
 
Business as Usual - kurtster - Jun 15, 2024 - 9:53am
 
What Makes You Laugh? - Antigone - Jun 14, 2024 - 7:04pm
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - oldviolin - Jun 14, 2024 - 3:15pm
 
China - R_P - Jun 14, 2024 - 2:59pm
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - oldviolin - Jun 14, 2024 - 2:08pm
 
Religion - Steely_D - Jun 14, 2024 - 1:28pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Jun 14, 2024 - 8:56am
 
Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy - Proclivities - Jun 14, 2024 - 6:42am
 
Florida - R_P - Jun 13, 2024 - 3:35pm
 
Democratic Party - thisbody - Jun 13, 2024 - 9:08am
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - thisbody - Jun 13, 2024 - 8:56am
 
Animal Resistance - thisbody - Jun 13, 2024 - 8:04am
 
New Music - lievendegrauwe - Jun 13, 2024 - 12:43am
 
The Green Thread: A place to share info about living a gr... - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jun 12, 2024 - 11:48pm
 
Derplahoma! - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 12, 2024 - 9:29pm
 
Guantánamo Resorts & Other Fun Trips - R_P - Jun 12, 2024 - 8:41am
 
Right, Left, Right of Left, Left of Right, Center...? - kurtster - Jun 11, 2024 - 10:36pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 11, 2024 - 3:51pm
 
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » Joe Biden Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113  Next
Post to this Topic
Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 10:57am

 islander wrote:





Well said.

adding: Many people are first time offenders, so what should we do with all the people who haven't committed crimes to protect the rest of us?

And of course there are the facts that still matter to some of us. https://www.ojp.gov/library/publications/comparing-crime-rates-between-undocumented-immigrants-legal-immigrants-and



So if you really are concerned about Crime, your neighbors are a bigger worry. And if we let a lot more immigrants into the country (legally or otherwise) the likelihood of being involved in a random crime would decrease.


This is where ThoughtCrime becomes an important part of our justice system and we employ 

islander

islander Avatar

Location: West coast somewhere
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 10:54am

 steeler wrote:

I posted this here about 5 years ago:

The flawed logic: The proposition is that anytime an illegal migrant commits a violent crime that stands as support for the position that there is a crisis at our border with Mexico requiring emergency measures to keep illegal migrants from crossing the border into the United States. The logic is that if the illegal migrant who committed the violent crime had not entered illegally across that border the crime would not have happened. True enough,; it indeed, has initial appeal.

But think about the underlying logic and where it takes us. For example, if a person who has gained entry to the U.S. through legal migration commits a violent crime, one could maintain that the crime would not have happened if that person had not been permitted to enter the country. Is that a good argument for curtailing legal immigration? Take it out of the immigration context. A person serving time in prison is released on parole and then commits a violent crime. Is that a good argument for curtailing parole or otherwise releasing prisoners? A person who has been arrested and charged with a crime is released on bail pending trial and commits a violent crime while out on bail. Is that a good argument for curtailing release on bail? You get the idea.

This is not to say that I am in favor of allowing persons to enter the country illegally – or to stay illegally after the expiration of a visa. However, the reality is that some number always will do so. And if one of those commits a violent crime while here, does that mean we have a crisis because that life somehow could have been spared if we had only (1) built a segment of a wall on some portion of the border with Mexico; (2) stationed more military at various points of the border and made guarding it part of their mission: (3) something else?

There always will be a point of diminishing returns. That is not to say that I do not value each American life. Nor am I necessarily opposed to increased border security. I am opposed to unnecessarily demonizing groups of people because that likely will lead to more senseless acts of violence being committed, not fewer.









Well said.

adding: Many people are first time offenders, so what should we do with all the people who haven't committed crimes to protect the rest of us?

And of course there are the facts that still matter to some of us. https://www.ojp.gov/library/publications/comparing-crime-rates-between-undocumented-immigrants-legal-immigrants-and



Abstract

The study found that undocumented immigrants had substantially lower crime rates than native-born citizens and legal immigrants across a range of felony offenses. Relative to undocumented immigrants, U.S.-born citizens are over 2 times more likely to be arrested for violent crimes, 2.5 times more likely to be arrested for drug crimes, and over 4 times more likely to be arrested for property crimes. In addition, the proportion of arrests involving undocumented immigrants in Texas was relatively stable or decreasing over this period. The differences between U.S.-born citizens and undocumented immigrants are robust to using alternative estimates of the broader undocumented population, alternate classifications of those counted as “undocumented” at arrest and substituting misdemeanors or convictions as measures of crime.


So if you really are concerned about Crime, your neighbors are a bigger worry. And if we let a lot more immigrants into the country (legally or otherwise) the likelihood of being involved in a random crime would decrease.
NoEnzLefttoSplit

NoEnzLefttoSplit Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 21, 2024 - 10:28pm

 VV wrote:


Ah isn’t that precious. You’re still buying into Trump’s “I alone can fix it” horsesh*t?

So be it. You can pick up your participation trophy from the woman with the uni-brow at the front of the gym. Have a nice day.




  
VV

VV Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 21, 2024 - 6:46pm

 kurtster wrote:

Rape is bad, but murder is ok with you.  Check, got it.

Here have another murder fresh from the morgue ... this one was only 12.

Illegal immigrant suspects in Texas girl’s murder were recently caught by Border Patrol, released into US




Ah isn’t that precious. You’re still buying into Trump’s “I alone can fix it” horsesh*t?

So be it. You can pick up your participation trophy from the woman with the uni-brow at the front of the gym. Have a nice day.


R_P

R_P Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 21, 2024 - 10:14am


kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 10:14pm

 kurtster wrote:

Rape is bad, but murder is ok with you.  Check, got it.

Here have another murder fresh from the morgue ... this one was only 12.

Illegal immigrant suspects in Texas girl’s murder were recently caught by Border Patrol, released into US




You will never stop illegal immigration into this country, even if  a re-elected Trump creates detention and concentration camps. 

It's better to beef up border detection, increase legal processing of immigrants (including deportation if necessary) and work with our neighbors to reduce people's incentives to leave their home country. Biden tried to do that with the Senate bill and his executive order. Trump's proposals would cause massive headaches for the US economy and face unending opposition in the courts. 

If you want to stay outraged by illegal immigration for the rest of your life, go ahead. Just don't expect others to care when your anger has no reasonable policy alternatives to offer. 
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 8:31pm

 kcar wrote:
It's interesting that you have such outrage for a woman allegedly being raped by an immigrant or illegal immigrant, Kurt, but you refuse to believe that Trump raped E. Jean Carroll and other women—including his first wife. No outrage from you there, huh?  We've already presented the data indicating that immigrants and illegal immigrants commit crimes at a lower rate than native individuals. But you just want to piggyback on a victim's suffering and claim it as your own.  We will have illegal immigrants coming into the US even if Trump is re-elected. Some of them will inevitably commit crimes. Who are you going to blame then?  Biden, the Democratic party and some Republican Senators tried to address the border problem in a significant way. The GOP blocked it because Trump didn't want Biden to get a "win." So who are you blaming for that failure? And what objections do you have to Biden's executive order?  You're like a broken doll that can't stop crying. Give it a rest. 
 
Rape is bad, but murder is ok with you.  Check, got it.

Here have another murder fresh from the morgue ... this one was only 12.

Illegal immigrant suspects in Texas girl’s murder were recently caught by Border Patrol, released into US


R_P

R_P Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 8:26pm

 kurtster wrote:
I read it.  White Supremacy is why.  That is your point.

That has nothing to do with any of this.

It is an electoral replay of the "our beautiful wholesome (white) American wimmens are being killed by those invading raping animals" variety. A dog whistle.

kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 8:04pm

It's interesting that you have such outrage for a woman allegedly being raped by an immigrant or illegal immigrant, Kurt, but you refuse to believe that Trump raped E. Jean Carroll and other women—including his first wife. No outrage from you there, huh? 

We've already presented the data indicating that immigrants and illegal immigrants commit crimes at a lower rate than native individuals. But you just want to piggyback on a victim's suffering and claim it as your own. 

We will have illegal immigrants coming into the US even if Trump is re-elected. Some of them will inevitably commit crimes. Who are you going to blame then? 

Biden, the Democratic party and some Republican Senators tried to address the border problem in a significant way. The GOP blocked it because Trump didn't want Biden to get a "win." So who are you blaming for that failure? And what objections do you have to Biden's executive order? 

You're like a broken doll that can't stop crying. Give it a rest. 
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 7:59pm

 R_P wrote:
 kurtster wrote:
So it only matters when non whites suffer the same consequences.

That's your takeaway.
 
I read it.  White Supremacy is why.  That is your point.

That has nothing to do with any of this.
R_P

R_P Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 7:47pm

 kurtster wrote:
So it only matters when non whites suffer the same consequences.

That's your takeaway.

kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 7:43pm

 R_P wrote:
 kurtster wrote:
Pure straw in the cases of the heinous acts performed by illegals. And how does this apply to the recorded public rape of a 13 year old girl ?

Read it (2 paragraphs) and you will know.
 
So it only matters when non whites suffer the same consequences.
R_P

R_P Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 7:40pm

 kurtster wrote:
Pure straw in the cases of the heinous acts performed by illegals.

And how does this apply to the recorded public rape of a 13 year old girl ?

Read it (2 paragraphs) and you will know.

steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 7:40pm

 kurtster wrote:

Minimizing this is disgraceful. This is a real problem that your side goes out of its way to ignore.

I posted this here about 5 years ago:

The flawed logic: The proposition is that anytime an illegal migrant commits a violent crime that stands as support for the position that there is a crisis at our border with Mexico requiring emergency measures to keep illegal migrants from crossing the border into the United States. The logic is that if the illegal migrant who committed the violent crime had not entered illegally across that border the crime would not have happened. True enough,; it indeed, has initial appeal.

But think about the underlying logic and where it takes us. For example, if a person who has gained entry to the U.S. through legal migration commits a violent crime, one could maintain that the crime would not have happened if that person had not been permitted to enter the country. Is that a good argument for curtailing legal immigration? Take it out of the immigration context. A person serving time in prison is released on parole and then commits a violent crime. Is that a good argument for curtailing parole or otherwise releasing prisoners? A person who has been arrested and charged with a crime is released on bail pending trial and commits a violent crime while out on bail. Is that a good argument for curtailing release on bail? You get the idea.

This is not to say that I am in favor of allowing persons to enter the country illegally – or to stay illegally after the expiration of a visa. However, the reality is that some number always will do so. And if one of those commits a violent crime while here, does that mean we have a crisis because that life somehow could have been spared if we had only (1) built a segment of a wall on some portion of the border with Mexico; (2) stationed more military at various points of the border and made guarding it part of their mission: (3) something else?

There always will be a point of diminishing returns. That is not to say that I do not value each American life. Nor am I necessarily opposed to increased border security. I am opposed to unnecessarily demonizing groups of people because that likely will lead to more senseless acts of violence being committed, not fewer.




kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 7:37pm

 steeler wrote:
 kurtster wrote:
The trail of bodies from his intentional open border policy keeps on growing. Thanks Joe
Politicizing this tragedy, and others like it, is insensitive, if not disgraceful.
 
Minimizing this is disgraceful.

This is a real problem that your side goes out of its way to ignore.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 7:35pm

 R_P wrote: 
Pure straw in the cases of the heinous acts performed by illegals.

And how does this apply to the recorded public rape of a 13 year old girl ?
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 7:33pm

Or how about this one ...

Ecuadorian migrant who allegedly raped 13-year-old NYC girl said he recorded the attack in sickening confession: DA
.



You all just make excuses to support Biden's open border. 

And then you all accuse me of being political instead.

You all then pretend that any laws passed such as the alleged bipartisan Senate bill would be enforced by Biden.

It will be a cold day in hell before that would happen.
R_P

R_P Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 7:32pm

Missing white woman syndrome
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 7:26pm

Ignore the obvious. 

Okay then, here have another.
.
steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Jun 20, 2024 - 5:32pm

 kurtster wrote:


The trail of bodies from his intentional open border policy keeps on growing.

Thanks Joe


Politicizing this tragedy, and others like it, is insensitive, if not disgraceful.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113  Next