3 Words for Political Zealots
- kurtster - Sep 26, 2021 - 9:49am
- Lazy8 - Sep 26, 2021 - 9:34am
Got a good recipe you care to share ???
- Ohmsen - Sep 26, 2021 - 9:20am
The Obituary Page
- KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 26, 2021 - 9:13am
- Ohmsen - Sep 26, 2021 - 9:06am
Marijuana: Baked News.
- kurtster - Sep 26, 2021 - 9:04am
- ScottFromWyoming - Sep 26, 2021 - 9:03am
- KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 26, 2021 - 9:01am
All Dogs Go To Heaven - Dog Pix
- oldviolin - Sep 26, 2021 - 8:45am
- kurtster - Sep 26, 2021 - 8:27am
Name My Band
- oldviolin - Sep 26, 2021 - 8:23am
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •
- oldviolin - Sep 26, 2021 - 8:20am
- oldviolin - Sep 26, 2021 - 8:11am
What The Hell Buddy?
- oldviolin - Sep 26, 2021 - 8:06am
Radio Paradise Comments
- miamizsun - Sep 26, 2021 - 7:48am
- Red_Dragon - Sep 26, 2021 - 6:05am
Stream breaking every few seconds
- bufes - Sep 25, 2021 - 11:51pm
- Steely_D - Sep 25, 2021 - 8:17pm
The Dragons' Roost
- Manbird - Sep 25, 2021 - 7:06pm
- islander - Sep 25, 2021 - 6:28pm
- Lazy8 - Sep 25, 2021 - 8:06am
Shuttle, ISS and other Real Space Ships
- Red_Dragon - Sep 25, 2021 - 7:40am
- R_P - Sep 24, 2021 - 9:35pm
- R_P - Sep 24, 2021 - 7:16pm
Gotta Get Your Drink On
- miamizsun - Sep 24, 2021 - 7:00pm
- R_P - Sep 24, 2021 - 6:49pm
Manbird's Episiotomy Stitch Licking Clinic - KEEP OUT
- oldviolin - Sep 24, 2021 - 7:31am
Counting with Pictures
- ScottN - Sep 24, 2021 - 6:25am
Your favorite tshirts
- Red_Dragon - Sep 24, 2021 - 5:48am
- oldviolin - Sep 23, 2021 - 7:42pm
- Red_Dragon - Sep 23, 2021 - 6:27pm
- Antigone - Sep 23, 2021 - 4:57pm
The Great Reset
- Ohmsen - Sep 23, 2021 - 2:17pm
Putin Owns Trump
- Ohmsen - Sep 23, 2021 - 2:09pm
Play the Blues
- black321 - Sep 23, 2021 - 1:03pm
Way Cool Video
- Ohmsen - Sep 23, 2021 - 12:51pm
A motivational quote
- black321 - Sep 23, 2021 - 12:13pm
- NoEnzLefttoSplit - Sep 23, 2021 - 11:05am
- oldviolin - Sep 23, 2021 - 9:27am
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos
- oldviolin - Sep 23, 2021 - 9:01am
- Red_Dragon - Sep 22, 2021 - 4:37pm
Think About It
- miamizsun - Sep 22, 2021 - 3:09pm
Google Assistant not streaming RP Main Mix
- temexter - Sep 22, 2021 - 3:08pm
Interesting or Weird Cover Versions
- miamizsun - Sep 22, 2021 - 2:07pm
Australia has Disappeared
- haresfur - Sep 22, 2021 - 2:05pm
- ScottFromWyoming - Sep 22, 2021 - 9:58am
- westslope - Sep 22, 2021 - 8:27am
Strange signs, marquees, billboards, etc.
- Proclivities - Sep 22, 2021 - 5:58am
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group
- sunybuny - Sep 22, 2021 - 4:49am
- oppositelock - Sep 21, 2021 - 7:15pm
- oldviolin - Sep 21, 2021 - 1:58pm
If not RP, what are you listening to right now?
- rgio - Sep 21, 2021 - 12:50pm
The war on funk is over!
- Ohmsen - Sep 21, 2021 - 10:39am
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously
- R_P - Sep 21, 2021 - 10:33am
- KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 21, 2021 - 10:25am
BACK TO THE 80's
- Ohmsen - Sep 21, 2021 - 9:11am
Make Scott laugh
- Ohmsen - Sep 21, 2021 - 8:11am
International Day of Peace
- miamizsun - Sep 21, 2021 - 4:21am
Museum Of Bad Album Covers
- yuel - Sep 21, 2021 - 3:05am
Things You Thought Today
- haresfur - Sep 21, 2021 - 12:35am
What the hell OV?
- oldviolin - Sep 20, 2021 - 9:42pm
That's good advice
- oldviolin - Sep 20, 2021 - 8:49pm
- Red_Dragon - Sep 20, 2021 - 7:52pm
Hello from France
- westslope - Sep 20, 2021 - 6:45pm
Bug Reports & Feature Requests
- ScottFromWyoming - Sep 20, 2021 - 10:17am
What is the meaning of this?
- oldviolin - Sep 20, 2021 - 8:58am
Philosophy (Meaty Metaphysical Munchables!)
- sirdroseph - Sep 20, 2021 - 5:19am
The Future is here!
- sirdroseph - Sep 20, 2021 - 4:42am
Taxes, Taxes, Taxes (and Taxes)
- R_P - Sep 19, 2021 - 4:05pm
Crazy conspiracy theories
- Ohmsen - Sep 19, 2021 - 2:11pm
Photos you have taken of yourself
- Antigone - Sep 19, 2021 - 1:52pm
HALF A WORLD
- oldviolin - Sep 19, 2021 - 11:43am
- Ohmsen - Sep 19, 2021 - 11:37am
What are you doing RIGHT NOW?
- miamizsun - Sep 19, 2021 - 6:40am
-PUNS- Fast Food
- haresfur - Sep 18, 2021 - 11:03pm
Far East »
Jan 27, 2016 - 6:54am
Thai airline passengers can now buy seats for 'supernatural' dollsDolls known as Luk Thep, or Child Angels, have become popular in Thailand and will be served snacks and drinks on flights.
A Thai airline will allow passengers to buy seats for life-like dolls their owners treat as real children because they believe they possess supernatural powers.
Thai Smile Airways, which is a part of national carrier Thai Airways International, said in an internal memo that dolls with tickets will be served snacks and drinks, although they will be barred from sitting in exit rows. Owners who take dolls on the plane without tickets will have them treated as carry-on luggage. (...)
The dolls, which can sell for hundreds of dollars, are thought to possess the spirits of child angels and their owners pamper them with brand-name clothes and accessories due to the belief that a well-cared-for doll will bring good fortune.
The memo from Thai Smile explains to staff that the Luk Thep dolls can be treated as children because they have undergone a “spiritualization” process that breathes life into them. In addition to being barred from exit rows, the dolls must also buckle up during take off and landing.
In Bangkok, a buffet restaurant is running a special for the dolls. (...)
Location: Twin Cities
Jan 15, 2010 - 8:11am
What's next, wheelchairs in decorator colors for the able-bodied or fashion diapers for the continent?
Thailand: This smile might kill you
Thai teen girls think braces are cute. They're also deadly.
By Patrick Winn - GlobalPost
BANGKOK, Thailand — Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health is forever condemning the next underground beauty craze. There’s glue-on eyelashes that can prick retinas. Toxic skin-whitening creams. Cheaply made contact lens that offer girls Pikachu-sized fantasy eyes.
But the teen fad health authorities consider the most dangerous is proving surprisingly resilient. After more than five years of health warnings, after two teenage deaths last year, some Thai girls still seek out cuteness-enhancing “fashion braces.”
Braces, that scarlet letter of American junior high geekdom, are adored by some Thai teenyboppers. Those who can’t afford dentist fees sometimes resort to braces attached in flea markets and living rooms by entrepreneurs with mail-order dental supplies. Though crudely applied, the braces appear genuine.
Reasons to avoid underground braces? Beyond the canker sores and sliced inner lips even legit braces offer, Thailand’s Dental Council warns of blood poisoning, infected dental tools, nerve damage and swallowing dislodged fittings.
“We just think they’re cute. Nice and cute!” said Supapich Konkayan, a 22-year-old art student in Bangkok. Her smile was laced with metal wiring and electric purple fittings. (The braces, she said, were real.) “Some of us have real dental problems. And for the others it’s just, well, fashion.”
But fashion braces are medically worthless and potentially deadly.
Last August, an amateur braces job left a 17-year-old girl in Thailand’s northeast city of Khon Kaen with an infected thyroid, which led to fatal heart failure. Police in Chon Buri province have also connected an open-air, illegal braces stall to the death of a 14-year-old girl.
“Teenagers shouldn’t be deciding whether to get fashion braces, for they only think of what’s hip,” concluded a recent Thailand Dental Council report, which describes long queues in front of quack dental stalls, which are sometimes disguised as laboratories.
“All this reflects that Thai society hasn’t yet developed into a wise society,” said the report. “It’s a society takes advantage of the ignorance of teenagers.”
Damning Thai media coverage has driven many purveyors of phony braces out of market stalls and onto the internet. Teen-centric web boards are littered with posts promising home delivery service, even to outlying provinces. The going rate: $24 per row of teeth or $45 for a full set.
One well-advertised service called “Jud Fun” — “fix teeth” in English — promotes a full-color palette of changeable dental bands for girls to choose from, as well as a customized Mickey Mouse design.
Jun 9, 2007 - 5:08pm
Location: Moving North
Mar 15, 2006 - 12:00am
Mar 14, 2006 - 10:18pm