The Obituary Page
- oldviolin - Oct 20, 2021 - 1:00am
- haresfur - Oct 19, 2021 - 10:26pm
- ScottFromWyoming - Oct 19, 2021 - 10:11pm
Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy
- islander - Oct 19, 2021 - 10:00pm
260,000 Posts in one thread?
- oldviolin - Oct 19, 2021 - 7:57pm
- Red_Dragon - Oct 19, 2021 - 6:23pm
- Red_Dragon - Oct 19, 2021 - 5:50pm
- Steely_D - Oct 19, 2021 - 4:51pm
Nuclear power - saviour or scourge?
- miamizsun - Oct 19, 2021 - 2:22pm
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •
- oldviolin - Oct 19, 2021 - 12:33pm
Things You Thought Today
- oldviolin - Oct 19, 2021 - 12:29pm
- Ohmsen - Oct 19, 2021 - 11:50am
- Ohmsen - Oct 19, 2021 - 11:30am
More reggae, less Marley please
- Ohmsen - Oct 19, 2021 - 10:43am
songs that ROCK!
- Ohmsen - Oct 19, 2021 - 9:52am
Counting with Pictures
- Proclivities - Oct 19, 2021 - 9:48am
Country Up The Bumpkin
- Ohmsen - Oct 19, 2021 - 8:50am
What is the meaning of this?
- Ohmsen - Oct 19, 2021 - 8:41am
Oh GOD, they're GAY!
- Ohmsen - Oct 19, 2021 - 8:16am
That's good advice
- Ohmsen - Oct 19, 2021 - 8:14am
Waste Time At Work
- miamizsun - Oct 19, 2021 - 8:06am
Name My Band
- Ohmsen - Oct 19, 2021 - 7:26am
Radio Paradise Comments
- islander - Oct 19, 2021 - 7:05am
- Ohmsen - Oct 19, 2021 - 6:59am
- Ohmsen - Oct 19, 2021 - 6:28am
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum
- GeneP59 - Oct 19, 2021 - 6:25am
- GeneP59 - Oct 19, 2021 - 6:12am
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group
- GeneP59 - Oct 19, 2021 - 6:05am
The War On You
- Ohmsen - Oct 19, 2021 - 4:57am
- PUNS - POLICE
- Ohmsen - Oct 19, 2021 - 4:47am
- haresfur - Oct 18, 2021 - 9:58pm
- oldviolin - Oct 18, 2021 - 5:50pm
Lyrics that strike a chord today...
- Lazy8 - Oct 18, 2021 - 5:10pm
Mixtape Culture Club
- miamizsun - Oct 18, 2021 - 6:18am
Today in History
- Red_Dragon - Oct 18, 2021 - 5:28am
- R_P - Oct 17, 2021 - 4:22pm
What did you have for dinner?
- Ohmsen - Oct 17, 2021 - 3:56pm
Dreams - Tales from your sleep
- Ohmsen - Oct 17, 2021 - 2:51pm
If not RP, what are you listening to right now?
- Ohmsen - Oct 17, 2021 - 1:52pm
Share a Website you love or hate
- Steely_D - Oct 17, 2021 - 1:50pm
- Ohmsen - Oct 17, 2021 - 1:46pm
- Ohmsen - Oct 17, 2021 - 1:38pm
And the good news is....
- Steely_D - Oct 17, 2021 - 9:50am
- westslope - Oct 17, 2021 - 9:17am
What are you afraid of?
- Antigone - Oct 17, 2021 - 8:18am
More of Editors
- TheKing2 - Oct 17, 2021 - 8:00am
Have you planned your Halloween costume yet??
- miamizsun - Oct 17, 2021 - 6:32am
Vinyl Only Spin List
- kurtster - Oct 16, 2021 - 7:52pm
- Red_Dragon - Oct 16, 2021 - 4:49pm
Gotta Get Your Drink On
- haresfur - Oct 16, 2021 - 3:54pm
- R_P - Oct 16, 2021 - 3:10pm
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously
- Red_Dragon - Oct 16, 2021 - 1:28pm
Oregon - politics
- westslope - Oct 16, 2021 - 9:24am
How To Be Politically Correct, A Primer
- miamizsun - Oct 16, 2021 - 7:49am
- Antigone - Oct 16, 2021 - 5:20am
Great Old Songs You Rarely Hear Anymore
- KurtfromLaQuinta - Oct 15, 2021 - 8:26pm
Apps turning itself on at night!night!
- jarro - Oct 15, 2021 - 6:16pm
- R_P - Oct 15, 2021 - 4:32pm
What Did You See Today?
- Antigone - Oct 15, 2021 - 3:37pm
- davidrsim - Oct 15, 2021 - 12:12pm
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone
- oldviolin - Oct 15, 2021 - 12:09pm
Get the Quote
- primm - Oct 15, 2021 - 11:48am
- westslope - Oct 15, 2021 - 8:03am
- sirdroseph - Oct 15, 2021 - 3:18am
BillyGee's Greatest Segues
- ScottN - Oct 14, 2021 - 8:31pm
Taxes, Taxes, Taxes (and Taxes)
- islander - Oct 14, 2021 - 4:17pm
- Red_Dragon - Oct 14, 2021 - 1:59pm
- Red_Dragon - Oct 14, 2021 - 9:03am
Strange signs, marquees, billboards, etc.
- Ohmsen - Oct 14, 2021 - 8:03am
- Ohmsen - Oct 14, 2021 - 6:39am
- Ohmsen - Oct 14, 2021 - 6:12am
Unresearched Conspiracy Theories
- Ohmsen - Oct 14, 2021 - 6:01am
Unquiet Minds - Mental Health Forum
- miamizsun - Oct 14, 2021 - 4:45am
- Red_Dragon - Oct 14, 2021 - 4:37am
- sirdroseph - Oct 14, 2021 - 4:30am
Far East »
Jan 27, 2016 - 6:54am
Thai airline passengers can now buy seats for 'supernatural' dollsDolls known as Luk Thep, or Child Angels, have become popular in Thailand and will be served snacks and drinks on flights.
A Thai airline will allow passengers to buy seats for life-like dolls their owners treat as real children because they believe they possess supernatural powers.
Thai Smile Airways, which is a part of national carrier Thai Airways International, said in an internal memo that dolls with tickets will be served snacks and drinks, although they will be barred from sitting in exit rows. Owners who take dolls on the plane without tickets will have them treated as carry-on luggage. (...)
The dolls, which can sell for hundreds of dollars, are thought to possess the spirits of child angels and their owners pamper them with brand-name clothes and accessories due to the belief that a well-cared-for doll will bring good fortune.
The memo from Thai Smile explains to staff that the Luk Thep dolls can be treated as children because they have undergone a “spiritualization” process that breathes life into them. In addition to being barred from exit rows, the dolls must also buckle up during take off and landing.
In Bangkok, a buffet restaurant is running a special for the dolls. (...)
Location: Twin Cities
Jan 15, 2010 - 8:11am
What's next, wheelchairs in decorator colors for the able-bodied or fashion diapers for the continent?
Thailand: This smile might kill you
Thai teen girls think braces are cute. They're also deadly.
By Patrick Winn - GlobalPost
BANGKOK, Thailand — Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health is forever condemning the next underground beauty craze. There’s glue-on eyelashes that can prick retinas. Toxic skin-whitening creams. Cheaply made contact lens that offer girls Pikachu-sized fantasy eyes.
But the teen fad health authorities consider the most dangerous is proving surprisingly resilient. After more than five years of health warnings, after two teenage deaths last year, some Thai girls still seek out cuteness-enhancing “fashion braces.”
Braces, that scarlet letter of American junior high geekdom, are adored by some Thai teenyboppers. Those who can’t afford dentist fees sometimes resort to braces attached in flea markets and living rooms by entrepreneurs with mail-order dental supplies. Though crudely applied, the braces appear genuine.
Reasons to avoid underground braces? Beyond the canker sores and sliced inner lips even legit braces offer, Thailand’s Dental Council warns of blood poisoning, infected dental tools, nerve damage and swallowing dislodged fittings.
“We just think they’re cute. Nice and cute!” said Supapich Konkayan, a 22-year-old art student in Bangkok. Her smile was laced with metal wiring and electric purple fittings. (The braces, she said, were real.) “Some of us have real dental problems. And for the others it’s just, well, fashion.”
But fashion braces are medically worthless and potentially deadly.
Last August, an amateur braces job left a 17-year-old girl in Thailand’s northeast city of Khon Kaen with an infected thyroid, which led to fatal heart failure. Police in Chon Buri province have also connected an open-air, illegal braces stall to the death of a 14-year-old girl.
“Teenagers shouldn’t be deciding whether to get fashion braces, for they only think of what’s hip,” concluded a recent Thailand Dental Council report, which describes long queues in front of quack dental stalls, which are sometimes disguised as laboratories.
“All this reflects that Thai society hasn’t yet developed into a wise society,” said the report. “It’s a society takes advantage of the ignorance of teenagers.”
Damning Thai media coverage has driven many purveyors of phony braces out of market stalls and onto the internet. Teen-centric web boards are littered with posts promising home delivery service, even to outlying provinces. The going rate: $24 per row of teeth or $45 for a full set.
One well-advertised service called “Jud Fun” — “fix teeth” in English — promotes a full-color palette of changeable dental bands for girls to choose from, as well as a customized Mickey Mouse design.
Jun 9, 2007 - 5:08pm
Location: Moving North
Mar 15, 2006 - 12:00am
Mar 14, 2006 - 10:18pm