[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Mixtape Culture Club - Lazy8 - Jun 27, 2022 - 11:10pm
 
The Abortion Wars - kurtster - Jun 27, 2022 - 11:09pm
 
Fascism American-style - R_P - Jun 27, 2022 - 11:09pm
 
Wordle - daily game - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jun 27, 2022 - 9:58pm
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - Steely_D - Jun 27, 2022 - 9:56pm
 
Trump - ScottN - Jun 27, 2022 - 7:54pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Jun 27, 2022 - 7:53pm
 
Living in America - Red_Dragon - Jun 27, 2022 - 6:18pm
 
Supreme Court Rulings - Red_Dragon - Jun 27, 2022 - 4:59pm
 
What is the meaning of this? - oldviolin - Jun 27, 2022 - 3:54pm
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 27, 2022 - 3:39pm
 
I am Thinking of: - maryte - Jun 27, 2022 - 2:14pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Jun 27, 2022 - 1:27pm
 
Love is... - islander - Jun 27, 2022 - 12:50pm
 
Guns - kcar - Jun 27, 2022 - 11:27am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - GeneP59 - Jun 27, 2022 - 10:44am
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - GeneP59 - Jun 27, 2022 - 10:39am
 
Economix - R_P - Jun 27, 2022 - 10:14am
 
M.A.G.A. - R_P - Jun 27, 2022 - 9:43am
 
Using Words to Frame a Political Issue - oldviolin - Jun 27, 2022 - 8:52am
 
Britain - Red_Dragon - Jun 27, 2022 - 8:40am
 
RightWingNutZ - Steely_D - Jun 27, 2022 - 8:25am
 
Words, acronyms, whatever, that changed meaning - Proclivities - Jun 27, 2022 - 7:43am
 
Ukraine - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jun 27, 2022 - 12:39am
 
Things You Thought Today - Bill_J - Jun 26, 2022 - 7:29pm
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Jun 26, 2022 - 4:53pm
 
Hockey + Fantasy Hockey - GeneP59 - Jun 26, 2022 - 4:47pm
 
Would you drive this car for dating with ur girl? - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 26, 2022 - 3:55pm
 
What Did You Do Today? - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 26, 2022 - 3:43pm
 
Poetry Forum - ScottN - Jun 26, 2022 - 9:04am
 
Tech & Science - miamizsun - Jun 26, 2022 - 8:29am
 
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests - Antigone - Jun 25, 2022 - 4:48pm
 
Terrorist Watch! - Red_Dragon - Jun 25, 2022 - 2:58pm
 
I like cheese - GeneP59 - Jun 25, 2022 - 2:29pm
 
SECESSION: The Republic of Texas? - Isabeau - Jun 25, 2022 - 2:20pm
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Jun 25, 2022 - 1:15pm
 
Live Music - oldviolin - Jun 25, 2022 - 10:28am
 
Today in History - HarleyRider - Jun 25, 2022 - 9:56am
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - Red_Dragon - Jun 25, 2022 - 9:52am
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Jun 25, 2022 - 9:25am
 
How's the weather? - GeneP59 - Jun 24, 2022 - 6:49pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - lminfo - Jun 24, 2022 - 5:12pm
 
Germany - R_P - Jun 24, 2022 - 2:38pm
 
Stuff you bought today. - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 24, 2022 - 10:25am
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - oldviolin - Jun 24, 2022 - 8:42am
 
Memorials - Remembering Our Loved Ones - miamizsun - Jun 24, 2022 - 8:12am
 
Russia - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jun 23, 2022 - 10:34pm
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Jun 23, 2022 - 4:25pm
 
Upcoming concerts or shows you can't wait to see - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 23, 2022 - 3:46pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Jun 23, 2022 - 12:15pm
 
Outstanding Covers - Steely_D - Jun 23, 2022 - 8:24am
 
Summer vacation plans? - Skydog - Jun 23, 2022 - 5:46am
 
Baseball, anyone? - Skydog - Jun 23, 2022 - 5:25am
 
how do you feel right now? - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jun 22, 2022 - 9:51pm
 
TV shows you watch - Steely_D - Jun 22, 2022 - 5:54pm
 
Crazy conspiracy theories - Steely_D - Jun 22, 2022 - 2:06pm
 
Mars Exploration Rover Mission Status - miamizsun - Jun 22, 2022 - 10:14am
 
Things I Read Today - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jun 22, 2022 - 9:22am
 
2016 Elections - Skydog - Jun 22, 2022 - 8:28am
 
Sublime Soundtracks - Skydog - Jun 22, 2022 - 5:12am
 
• • •  What's For Dinner ? • • •  - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 21, 2022 - 8:14pm
 
Nuclear power - saviour or scourge? - miamizsun - Jun 21, 2022 - 6:34pm
 
What the world needs now is .... - Skydog - Jun 21, 2022 - 5:27pm
 
World & Eclectic Mix - GetBakedTonight - Jun 21, 2022 - 1:22am
 
Happy Father's Day - Bill_J - Jun 20, 2022 - 8:23pm
 
Animal Resistance - Red_Dragon - Jun 20, 2022 - 3:58pm
 
Movie Recommendation - Manbird - Jun 20, 2022 - 2:46pm
 
Greetings from New York! - kcar - Jun 20, 2022 - 11:01am
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - oldviolin - Jun 20, 2022 - 9:48am
 
songs that ROCK! - oldviolin - Jun 20, 2022 - 9:43am
 
Fiverr Anyone? - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 20, 2022 - 8:21am
 
Art Show - Proclivities - Jun 20, 2022 - 7:39am
 
BillyGee's Greatest Segues - Skydog - Jun 20, 2022 - 4:05am
 
Climate Change - R_P - Jun 19, 2022 - 11:45am
 
New Recruit - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 18, 2022 - 4:37pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » About RP » A lot of 'obscure' repetition lately? Page: 1, 2  Next
Post to this Topic
oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 19, 2022 - 9:29am

oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 18, 2022 - 12:49pm

 Steely_D wrote:
 oldviolin wrote:
 
Absolutely in my top ten tunes of all time. Listen to how many melodies he throws in there - AND DOESN’T HAVE TO.
Plus, there’s this.
Cumberland gap, Cumberland gap…
 
Posting it was a play on a theme I had running through my crazy head yeasterday. Somebody gave me the final ingredient a little while ago! Just trying to bake a birthday cake for Coaxial cause he's an olden feller now. Hey hey, you know what they say! Olden is Golden! LOL
oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 18, 2022 - 12:35pm

Manbird

Manbird Avatar

Location: Owl Creek Bridge
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 14, 2022 - 10:01am

 Proclivities wrote:

When I want to listen to ambient/electronica/drone, etc. (often when I'm painting or drawing or something like that) I usually stream one of the channels from SOMA-FM - one of the Groove Salad channels, or SF-10-33, Secret Agent, etc.





Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 14, 2022 - 4:45am

 Manbird wrote:
I really wish there was a spot for ambient/electronica genre. There's no feed here that provides enough of that.
I get it - they submit to one suggestion and it snowballs - so best not to address anyone's ideas. But still...
I just can't listen anymore. But I still I donate a few shekels when asked. The forums are worth a few quid 

When I want to listen to ambient/electronica/drone, etc. (often when I'm painting or drawing or something like that) I usually stream one of the channels from SOMA-FM - one of the Groove Salad channels, or SF-10-33, Secret Agent, etc.

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 14, 2022 - 4:05am

 Manbird wrote:
I really wish there was a spot for ambient/electronica genre. There's no feed here that provides enough of that.
I get it - they submit to one suggestion and it snowballs - so best not to address anyone's ideas. But still...
I just can't listen anymore. But I still I donate a few shekels when asked. The forums are worth a few quid 
 

like groove salad electronica?
i dunno, electronica seems to cover a lot
lean on a keyboard or synth and create a loop?
keep tweaking the ear worm until your headlights come on?
please elaborate!


oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 13, 2022 - 8:21pm

 Manbird wrote:
 Ohmsen wrote:

For me, RP has been a constant in my daily listenings since it's beginnings (mid-late 90's) if I remember right.
My daily listenings have largely increased over the last decade, up to more than 3-5 hrs daily. Unfortunately to my taste, some kind of saturation started setting in, over time, and especially, lately (1-2 years).  That saturation is clearly driven by RP's repetition of their musical vocabulary. Sad, but true, imo. I have been posting lotsa links to other tunes on this forum, in hope to enrich some scope, at least here and there. I can say, that some of my inputs were even considered to be played on RP, for which I am thankful.  24*7*356 radio is a challenge. And RP is still THE one and only go-to for me in this regard. And yes, I have been a supporter, to my limited ability. Still.... A major enrichment, or brush-up to the World/Etc. Mix would be felt as dearly needed, next to some fresh new impulses, like e.g. a mix of Jazz and more diverse music being played. Thank you RP, and thanx for considering my personal rant. Jay Radio Paradise!

I really wish there was a spot for ambient/electronica genre. There's no feed here that provides enough of that.
I get it - they submit to one suggestion and it snowballs - so best not to address anyone's ideas. But still...
I just can't listen anymore. But I still I donate a few shekels when asked. The forums are worth a few quid 
 
Lol. That's like some backward over the underhand challenge, huh? Maybe a little side project. Kind of like the RP basement or something. Album oriented. Play whole sides or LPs. Maybe a live stream with member enthusiasts doing mini sets. Spin records on vintage equipment. Be raw and human and imperfect. Or perfect. Who can know what that looks like? LOLOL Nobody ever died for thinking up great ideas...I hope...Idealism is the new black. Or is it ideology? I can't remember......
Manbird

Manbird Avatar

Location: Owl Creek Bridge
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 13, 2022 - 12:02pm

 Ohmsen wrote:

For me, RP has been a constant in my daily listenings since it's beginnings (mid-late 90's) if I remember right.
My daily listenings have largely increased over the last decade, up to more than 3-5 hrs daily.

Unfortunately to my taste, some kind of saturation started setting in, over time, and especially, lately (1-2 years).  That saturation is clearly driven by RP's repetition of their musical vocabulary. Sad, but true, imo.

I have been posting lotsa links to other tunes on this forum, in hope to enrich some scope, at least here and there. I can say, that some of my inputs were even considered to be played on RP, for which I am thankful. 

24*7*356 radio is a challenge. And RP is still THE one and only go-to for me in this regard.

And yes, I have been a supporter, to my limited ability.

Still....

A major enrichment, or brush-up to the World/Etc. Mix would be felt as dearly needed, next to some fresh new impulses, like e.g. a mix of Jazz and more diverse music being played.

Thank you RP, and thanx for considering my personal rant.

Jay Radio Paradise!



I really wish there was a spot for ambient/electronica genre. There's no feed here that provides enough of that.
I get it - they submit to one suggestion and it snowballs - so best not to address anyone's ideas. But still...
I just can't listen anymore. But I still I donate a few shekels when asked. The forums are worth a few quid 






ditty

ditty Avatar

Location: centex
Gender: Female


Posted: Sep 14, 2016 - 2:47pm

 Ashloh wrote:
I think it is probly because I listen to it 12 hours a day to be fair.
But still worth a mention just to field other opinion. 
 
I've got it playing from 7am to 5pm every workday.  Like Scott said, there's a groove to it and some days it seems like I hear the same songs.  Then I look at the last time it played and realize it was last week.  :shrug:
Ashloh

Ashloh Avatar



Posted: Sep 14, 2016 - 1:37pm

I think it is probly because I listen to it 12 hours a day to be fair.
But still worth a mention just to field other opinion. 
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 14, 2016 - 12:55pm

If I hate a song, I notice it every time it plays... there may be something going on with a select few songs that get bumped from the OBSCURE pile to the FEATURE pile for a while, but it isn't everything.
 
I've experienced it and complained about it and then posted about it many many times, though: Newer listeners start to get bugged about the playlist after a couple of months. Then (without RP actually changing) it gets better. Then in a few more months the playlist seems old again. Then it gets better. And then repeat roughly every 6 months. RP is fairly constant, but statistically, you're going to hear a particular song way more often than others, and your listening habits and the playlist get into some harmonics where you're perfectly in sync and everything's great, then just like that it's just a nasty buzz for a while. Go away, come back, it'll be fine.
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 14, 2016 - 12:47pm

 Ashloh wrote:
I think there is a ton of repetition, and was also wondering if there may be an underlying reason for it.
I keep giving it the benefit of the doubt, but even my wife and kids have started to mock the fact that I must be on RP because they keep hearing the same things.
I'm sure it was not like this 8 months ago. But for the last couple of months it's felt like groundhog day. 
 
I haven't noticed that - at least not for specific songs (unless the song is on a very new album). There are particular artists who are definitely played every day (that's a different topic), but I don't notice very much repetition of distinct tracks or playlists when I'm listening.  I don't listen to RP continually though (I switch around between a few other sources of music), so there could be something I'm not noticing, but it doesn't seem likely when I look at the playlists.
Ashloh

Ashloh Avatar



Posted: Sep 14, 2016 - 12:36pm

I think there is a ton of repetition, and was also wondering if there may be an underlying reason for it.
I keep giving it the benefit of the doubt, but even my wife and kids have started to mock the fact that I must be on RP because they keep hearing the same things.
I'm sure it was not like this 8 months ago. But for the last couple of months it's felt like groundhog day. 
ssg

ssg Avatar

Location: California, US
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 14, 2016 - 10:13am

 birdland wrote:
I've been a member for a long time - I've recently noticed a lot of obscure tunes being played at a high rate of repetition (Leonard Cohen - "Who by Fire", Steely Dan "Don't Take Me Alive" (many others)). And although I love these tunes, 3 - 4 times in the last 30 days seems a very high rotation for something from the back catalogue. And this is a new perception for me. I've never thought, "What the hell, that again?" for the years I've been listening here. Is there something up? A loss of license from a particular distributor, or restricted access to songs?

Anyone else sensing this?

 
I came to forum to say that. It's not about a specific song or artist but I feel like we are listening to a very limited set nowadays. I'm only ok with too much David Bowie. I wonder if it was because change in licensing fees/terms too.  
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 15, 2016 - 3:11pm

 Steely_D wrote:

He plays on a Brian Protheroe tune. So there's that.

 
here's a nice tune



Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 14, 2016 - 12:47pm

 miamizsun wrote:

i'd like to hear more ian anderson

 
He plays on a Brian Protheroe tune. So there's that.
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 14, 2016 - 11:28am

filthy poem
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: May 4, 2013 - 5:14am

break the mold...


samiyam

samiyam Avatar

Location: Moving North


Posted: May 3, 2013 - 10:00pm

 birdland wrote:
I've been a member for a long time - I've recently noticed a lot of obscure tunes being played at a high rate of repetition (Leonard Cohen - "Who by Fire", Steely Dan "Don't Take Me Alive" (many others)). And although I love these tunes, 3 - 4 times in the last 30 days seems a very high rotation for something from the back catalogue. And this is a new perception for me. I've never thought, "What the hell, that again?" for the years I've been listening here. Is there something up? A loss of license from a particular distributor, or restricted access to songs?

Anyone else sensing this?

 
Send Bill a small note and then let him roll.  He doesn't need our help.
lily34

lily34 Avatar

Location: GTFO
Gender: Female


Posted: May 3, 2013 - 6:06am

 Proclivities wrote:

How did you make that happen?  It's magic!

 

i'm magic!


Page: 1, 2  Next