[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Dave Edmunds — I Hear You Knocking
Album: Rockpile
Avg rating:
7.3

Your rating:
Total ratings: 996








Released: 1972
Length: 2:44
Plays (last 30 days): 2
You went away and left me long time ago
And now you're knocking on my door

I hear you knocking
But you can't come in
I hear you knocking
Go back where you've been

I begged you not to go but you said goodbye
And now you're telling me all your lies

I hear you knocking
But you can't come in
I hear you knocking
Go back where you've been

You better get back to your used-to-be
'Cause your kind of love ain't good for me

I hear you knocking
But you can't come in
I hear you knocking
Go back where you've been

I told you, baby, in '52
That I would never go with you

I hear you knocking
But you can't come in
I hear you knocking
Go back where you've been
Comments (47)add comment
 neotrogg wrote:
fun song itnitt


       ain't it...   
 meghan89 wrote:
physicsgenius wrote: Well can't we have balance on this station as well? If RP only played things that never got played then we'd have nothing to listen to except the worst of the worst music that no WANTS to listen. ALL things in moderation - snobby comments, Top 40 hits, obscure musical gems, coffee, lotto ticket purchases, cheetos


Hahaha! Great response!
fun song itnitt
Still a cool song !!
 aliencat wrote:
Saw Rockpile in the day. That was some serious rock n roll.
 
For a second I thought I was in an SCTV thread.  Respect to Mel.
 Leslie wrote:

I never get tired of this song - I've loved it for years and years.



πŸ‘
 On_The_Beach wrote:

Hmmm, an answer to the Stones' Can't You Hear Me Knocking?



Pretty sure this is a cover that "predates" Stones
 meghan89 wrote:
physicsgenius wrote: Well can't we have balance on this station as well? If RP only played things that never got played then we'd have nothing to listen to except the worst of the worst music that no WANTS to listen. ALL things in moderation - snobby comments, Top 40 hits, obscure musical gems, coffee, lotto ticket purchases, cheetos


Hahaha! Love your lists of things that need moderation!
I remember when this song was all over the radio. Along with Grand Funk Railroad's hit, "Locomotion," it was always tons of fun to sing along to...
Go back where you been!
Saw Rockpile in the day. That was some serious rock n roll.
Hmmm, an answer to the Stones' Can't You Hear Me Knocking?
 meghan89 wrote:
physicsgenius wrote: Well can't we have balance on this station as well? If RP only played things that never got played then we'd have nothing to listen to except the worst of the worst music that no WANTS to listen. ALL things in moderation - snobby comments, Top 40 hits, obscure musical gems, coffee, lotto ticket purchases, cheetos


Actually, RP plays quite a bit of music that gets played virtually nowhere else, quite a bit of it which many of us here LOVE. However, the mix is great, especially the unexpected connections between seemingly unrelated pieces. 
 Alastair wrote:
I bought this single when it was released.  Played it about 700 times in a row.
 

its got very nice flow and the steel guitar just spices it up the right way and the vocals are nicely in the shadow
I bought this single when it was released.  Played it about 700 times in a row.
Haven't heard Dave Edmunds in a long time. Lots of stuff to mine there. 
Glorious transition RP... I hear ya knock in’ aaahhh
OMG I thought this was the Beatles.  
Love it.  Reminds me of my youth!
 meghan89 wrote:
physicsgenius wrote:
No, it is an "availability" argument. There are millions of songs in the world. This particular one already gets a lot of airtime elsewhere, so why play not balance that out by playing songs that get little or no airtime elsewhere?
Well can't we have balance on this station as well? If RP only played things that never got played then we'd have nothing to listen to except the worst of the worst music that no WANTS to listen. ALL things in moderation - snobby comments, Top 40 hits, obscure musical gems, coffee, lotto ticket purchases, cheetos
 
I am onboard with all of this except maybe Cheetos. Moderation in terms of Cheeto consumption is pending further review prior to acceptance.  Please re-submit in 60 to 90 days.
Love this song!{#Dancingbanana_2}
especially cheetos
physicsgenius wrote:
No, it is an "availability" argument. There are millions of songs in the world. This particular one already gets a lot of airtime elsewhere, so why play not balance that out by playing songs that get little or no airtime elsewhere?
Well can't we have balance on this station as well? If RP only played things that never got played then we'd have nothing to listen to except the worst of the worst music that no WANTS to listen. ALL things in moderation - snobby comments, Top 40 hits, obscure musical gems, coffee, lotto ticket purchases, cheetos
I never get tired of this song - I've loved it for years and years.
Darkmatter wrote:
This is the "elitist" argument, commonly used by those who think they have a very refined and acquired taste in music, and think that popular music = bad music. Which is fine and well, but I don't think RP is such a radio station. Radio Paradise provides an excellent mix of popular music and "edge" music alike, and that is why I love listening. :)
No, it is an "availability" argument. There are millions of songs in the world. This particular one already gets a lot of airtime elsewhere, so why play not balance that out by playing songs that get little or no airtime elsewhere?
Gregorama wrote:
Per AMG it was written by Dave Bartholomew. The cover I'm most familiar with was done by Fats Domino.
It was first a hit for Smiley Lewis in the 50s. I read somewhere that Dave only covered it because Creedence took Grapevine. You can hear Dave shout names of various R&B legends Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Smiley Lewis! in the background of this track. After all this time, I've never heard the Smiley Lewis original (afaik), but AMG says his records have Huey Smith on piano and Lee Allen on sax (who I came to know thru his work with the Blasters). I think I'll put ol' Smiley on my Amazon xmas wish list...
Gregorama wrote:
Per AMG it was written by Dave Bartholomew. The cover I'm most familiar with was done by Fats Domino.
Fats' version was the original. Dave Bartholomew and Fats Domino had a long working relationship, co-writing most of Fats' big hits together.
Darkmatter wrote:
This is the "elitist" argument, commonly used by those who think they have a very refined and acquired taste in music, and think that popular music = bad music. Which is fine and well, but I don't think RP is such a radio station. Radio Paradise provides an excellent mix of popular music and "edge" music alike, and that is why I love listening. :)
I think if someone's going to make the argument, they need to have support of it. I haven't heard DE on ANY radio station in years, and I listen to radio all day long in a metropolitan area. If this guy hears it "daily", I want to know where..... In other words, I don't believe him.
Haven't heard this gem in a long time.
physicsgenius wrote:
Why would I listen to RP if I can hear the same songs with a lot less trouble by tuning in to any of a dozen stations on every dial?
This is the "elitist" argument, commonly used by those who think they have a very refined and acquired taste in music, and think that popular music = bad music. Which is fine and well, but I don't think RP is such a radio station. Radio Paradise provides an excellent mix of popular music and "edge" music alike, and that is why I love listening. :)
Zep wrote:
So donkey-breath, what would your point be?
I'm not sure how you can smell my breath over TCP/IP or even why it would matter if you could, but here's my point: Why would I listen to RP if I can hear the same songs with a lot less trouble by tuning in to any of a dozen stations on every dial?
Zep wrote:
So donkey-breath, what would your point be?
He has no point, but that doesn't stop him.
Dianyla wrote:
I always thought this was a Beatles song! :o
Per AMG it was written by Dave Bartholomew. The cover I'm most familiar with was done by Fats Domino. I wish someone would upload some more Dave Edmunds. One of the greatest, yet least recognized guitarists of the last 30 years. Saw him live a couple of years ago and he was fantastic. And I've yet to hear any Dave Edmunds on any classic rock stations. RP is the only place I have ever heard any Dave Edmunds in public.
physicsgenius wrote:
Played daily on "classic" rock stations all over the world.
So donkey-breath, what would your point be?
I am a man of the road, a hobo by name I don't seek entertainment, just poultry and game But if it's all the same to you, then yes I will try my hand If you were as hungry as me, then I'm sure you would understand Oh, wait. This is a different song?
physicsgenius wrote:
Played daily on "classic" rock stations all over the world.
Good comment...exactly
I always thought this was a Beatles song! :o
physicsgenius wrote:
Played daily on "classic" rock stations all over the world.
Just goes to show that even "classic" rock stations get it right once in a while.
Makes me want to hear John Lennon's Stand By Me. Good stuff!
Class! Remember him from Brinsley Schwartz, him, Nick Lowe and all that crowd. Saw their farewell concert in Victoria, coincidentally Al Stewarts last UK concert before he went to 'conquer' the States. Good pop song and what's wrong with that :D
=;
This song always makes me smile! :D :) :) :D
Dave is my favourite rocker of all time. Every record smokes. I saw him at the Palace in Hollywood in 86 or 87. Unbelievable. Brian Setzer played with the band that night. Awesome. Dave IS Rock and Roll.
Thanks to whomever uploaded this. Edmunds is one of the greatest unsung guitar gods around! Was lucky enough to see him solo live in 2003 in a 200 seat room. He was awesome.
Played daily on "classic" rock stations all over the world.