[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Iron & Wine — Jezebel
Album: Woman King
Avg rating:
6.9

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1310









Released: 2005
Length: 5:02
Plays (last 30 days): 0
Who's seen Jezebel?
She was born to be the woman I would know
And hold like the breeze
Half as tight as both eyes closed

Who's seen Jezebel?
She went walking where the cedars line the road
Her blouse on the ground
Where the dogs were hungry, roaming

Saying, "Wait
We swear we'll love you more and wholly
Jezebel, it's we, we that you are for only"

Who's seen Jezebel?
She was born to be the woman we could blame
Make me a beast half as brave
I'd be the same

Who's seen Jezebel?
She was gone before I ever got to say
"Lay here my love
You're the only shape I'll pray to, Jezebel"

Who's seen Jezebel?
Will the mountain last as long as I can wait
Wait like the dawn
How it aches to meet the day

Who's seen Jezebel?
She was certainly the spark for all I've done
The window was wide
She could see the dogs come running

Saying, "Wait
We swear we'll love you more and wholly
Jezebel, it's we, we that you are for only"
Comments (166)add comment
Thanks for all the lovely music this evening in the Mellow Mix, just wonderful 
This is the only concert I've ever been to that I fell asleep at. I'm not kidding.
hear them banjo strings bend.
THANK yOU rADIO pARADISE For making radio Fun~Again
~~~~Love This one 8+
I think Sam Beam's/Iron & Wine's first collaboration with Calexico is a good starting point for anyone not really familiar or enamoured with their individual efforts. I found each on their own "okay", but "In the Reins" has got to be one of my favorite albums of the aughts. 
 gshrieves wrote:
Thanks to RP, I've discovered I don't care for Iron and Wine. 
 
Well put. I enjoy a couple of Iron and Wine songs, personally.

I wanted to compliment you on your respectfully delivered opinion. 

Very much unlike the brazen and disrespectful negative comment I made earlier today about Elvis Costello.

I will try to learn from your example. Great!!
 flyboy wrote:
This song has a lot of obvious Bible references.  Still haven't figured out how they fit together and what message we're supposed to be taking away from it.  Seems to be pro Jezebel, anti Christ, but could also be seen to be sung in an ironic way and be the opposite.  Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
 
Jezebel is a figure in the Old Testament, so there should be no connection to Jesus.  It seems more like Beam is just expanding on her story - the window, the dogs, etc..
This song has a lot of obvious Bible references.  Still haven't figured out how they fit together and what message we're supposed to be taking away from it.  Seems to be pro Jezebel, anti Christ, but could also be seen to be sung in an ironic way and be the opposite.  Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
lovely!
 cathenley wrote:
Is it over yet? {#Rolleyes}

 
It's never over until it's over.....then it doesn't matter an iota whether the fat lady sings........unless it's a dirge, for the living - obviously.
Nice song, but why the banjo solo? Ugh.
sssshhhh...I cant hear him...thankfully!
very nice!
 bachbeet wrote:
Just can't get into these guys.
 



..^ tend to agree, but this one grabs me somehow..
LOVELY!
Just can't get into these guys.
Dang it. Coulda' sworn that Bill said, "The music continues with Iron Butterfly."   Oh well, I'll take Iron & Wine, instead.
 jt1 wrote:

I live in hope of the day this happens for me too...

 
If you get a chance to see him live it might happen for you..it did for me.

 adroc wrote:
Hauntingly beautiful... I started out like the rest of the "yaaaawwwn" or "more iron, less whine" crowd, but have completely come around to appreciate and hold a deep affection for Sam Beam's musical poetry.
 
I live in hope of the day this happens for me too...

Nice!
Meg White on drums.
 Businessgypsy wrote:
Ratings indicate a solid 7. Comments indicate a 2. Cross tabulation indicates that Sam Beam's fans are a silent lot (except me!).
 
rated 2. haven't posted (until now)
i like this but i'm liking his new stuff even more
 adroc wrote:
Hauntingly beautiful... I started out like the rest of the "yaaaawwwn" or "more iron, less whine" crowd, but have completely come around to appreciate and hold a deep affection for Sam Beam's musical poetry.
 
Glad you've seen the light.  
Ratings indicate a solid 7. Comments indicate a 2. Cross tabulation indicates that Sam Beam's fans are a silent lot (except me!).
Sominex......ugh.
Hauntingly beautiful... I started out like the rest of the "yaaaawwwn" or "more iron, less whine" crowd, but have completely come around to appreciate and hold a deep affection for Sam Beam's musical poetry.
 gshrieves wrote:
Thanks to RP, I've discovered I don't care for Iron and Wine. 
 
Perhaps better than a Colbie Calet?  sorry {#Rolleyes}
Grrrrr — this is just plain lame and weak. 
Thanks to RP, I've discovered I don't care for Iron and Wine. 

Love the lyrics. Love the imagery. Shakespeare is the bard, but Sam is the beard. 
 boober wrote:
More iron ...less whine.
 
Oh, hey, now THAT's original.
Very nice tune!!
 Hippostar wrote:


"Say 'Jezebel' one more time.  I dare you!"

 
lol...that's great

 siskinbob wrote:
I find Iron and Wine to be one of lifes paradoxes. Every time a track comes on RP I love it. But I have tried listening to an albums worth, consecutive tracks one after another and I get bored and want something with a bit more variety.{#Confused} Obviously a case of "A little of what you fancy does you good"
 
Same thing for me with Nina Simone (to name one). One or two songs are great, then I've had enough.



"Say 'Jezebel' one more time.  I dare you!"

More iron ...less whine.
I find Iron and Wine to be one of lifes paradoxes. Every time a track comes on RP I love it. But I have tried listening to an albums worth, consecutive tracks one after another and I get bored and want something with a bit more variety.{#Confused} Obviously a case of "A little of what you fancy does you good"


Iron and Wine...

Their daddy was Nick Drake.  Their mommy was Jewell.

But the kids turned out kind of boring. Nice at first, but boring in the long run.
 Mandible wrote:

I knew some guys in college who did this to the song "Roxanne". Imagine that one.
 

It was messy as hell when we did it.
I like this song!
 Johnny-smooth wrote:
hard to go wrong when you have a banjo solo :-)
 

True, just make sure its not followed up by dueling banjos. {#Cowboy}
is that a collection of "Jazz-a-Bell"s on the album cover?
this is the only jezebel i know of...

 MrGreg wrote:
If you took a drink every time he said "jezebel" you could get alcohol poisoning. {#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Puke}
 
I knew some guys in college who did this to the song "Roxanne". Imagine that one.

Made me think of Nick Drake.

Saw Kris Delmorst do a nice cover of this at Stone Mountain Arts Center a couple weeks ago.  Great song!

 Papernapkin wrote:
More whispering? Ugh.
 
In general I agree, but I think this one stands up better then their other one's which get old fairly quick.

Bump 6 -> 7


I really enjoy hearing Iron and Wine just about any time....

But on this rainy, blustery winter's eve..it just hits the spot. {#Angel}


Definitely a 'stop typing and listen for a little while' song. {#Meditate}
Is it over yet? {#Rolleyes}
More whispering? Ugh.
wenatchee wrote:
Fluffy little clouds and baked cookies with a hint of sleepiness in it

yup!
and, the name of my first cat at age six. kitten, bluepoint siamese who i had until i was about 16. she was a hoot.

Fluffy little clouds and baked cookies with a hint of sleepiness in it
I definitely dig this song.{#Bounce}

Mr. Samuel Beam treats very well-taken of music with care and respect  -   6  /  7.



If you took a drink every time he said "jezebel" you could get alcohol poisoning. {#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Drunk}{#Puke}


 maplebed wrote:
Sunrise just hit my desk as this came on, and I couldn't help but stop working for a few moments and enjoy the bright warm rays on my face mixed with the wonderful, soothing tones and feel my shoulders drop at least an inch in blissful relaxation.

It's a good morning.
 
Thanks for sharing that with us, Maplebed. Comments like this send healing ripples across the surface of the global pond.
{#Sleep}  Zzrk? Snore.

Alas, another "group" that we used to enjoy free here in the Austin area but must wait in line and pay big bucks like everyone else now to here him.

It's wonderful tho to have him, his wife and 4 kiddos as neighbors in Dripping Springs, TX.  Beautiful album!!!
Was that played at the right speed?
This song made me stop what I was typing and turn up the volume. That must mean it elevates from an 8 to a 9.
makes me wanna head out to the country.
Quite beautiful!
maplebed wrote:
Sunrise just hit my desk as this came on, and I couldn't help but stop working for a few moments and enjoy the bright warm rays on my face mixed with the wonderful, soothing tones and feel my shoulders drop at least an inch in blissful relaxation. It's a good morning.
Cheers to that.
hard to go wrong when you have a banjo solo :-)
Thank you Iron & Wine for showing me that I've been mispronouncing "Jezebel" all these years.
Sunrise just hit my desk as this came on, and I couldn't help but stop working for a few moments and enjoy the bright warm rays on my face mixed with the wonderful, soothing tones and feel my shoulders drop at least an inch in blissful relaxation. It's a good morning.
Sorriest application of hyperbole I've seen all day. I&W is consistently good here on RP. eskles wrote:
Iron and Wine - always good for bringing an otherwise excellent set to a mind numbing halt.
chyk5 wrote:
In your uninformed opinion, that is. This is most enjoyable.
So...an uninformed opinion would be one that does not agree with yours? OK, thanks for the enlightenment, physicsgen...uh, I mean chyk5.
eskles wrote:
Iron and Wine - always good for bringing an otherwise excellent set to a mind numbing halt.
In your uninformed opinion, that is. This is most enjoyable.
Iron and Wine - always good for bringing an otherwise excellent set to a mind numbing halt.
I hear the Whine, where's the Iron?.....Bow-Ring.
:notworthy: put it on a playlist for a long drive to i dont know where.....chill...
Regional accent. Sam is a Floridian. sdn wrote:
He's not singing "Jezebel", he's singing "Jazabel". I don't know why this bugs me.
commenting on the album art and collections of various things...I collect hood ornaments from the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50's as well as old steering wheels and few other car related objects of adornment.
He's not singing "Jezebel", he's singing "Jazabel". I don't know why this bugs me.
UltraNurd wrote:
Two things: first, I believe both Akhenaten and Zoroaster beat the ancient Hebrews to monotheism; second, all three are more monolatric than monotheistic. (Consider "Thou shalt have no other gods before me": one could argue that it acknowledges the existence of other gods, but states their power as worthless in comparison to YHWH.)
Good observations. However, it is not who was first, but who was the most successful that counts.
psycgrrl wrote:
Aren't those thimbles? I guess you could drink out of them, but it would take quite a few refills to do the job of one stein.
Yes, my wife collects thimbles from places we've visited. She has well over a hundred -- including some of the very ones pictured -- in printer's drawers on the walls.
eastcoast wrote:
Love the album cover I collect steins!
Aren't those thimbles? I guess you could drink out of them, but it would take quite a few refills to do the job of one stein.
This really is a beautiful song!
Excellent !!!
DoctorHooey wrote:
On the other hand, spending the next 2000 years slandering the Jews for supposedly "causing his death" is very un-Jesus-ly of people who supposedly follow the golden rule, etc.
un-Jesus-ly I'm sorry but that's a classic
Okay okay, dear RP! Now I bought the CD... Oh Bill, please stop playing so wonderful music. You're makin me poor
One of the best songs on RP, imo
DoctorHooey wrote:
I'm no Bibilcal scholar, but I believe that derives from the fact that Pontius Pilate gave the Jews the choice of sparing either Jesus or Barabas, a common thief, the punishment of death by crucifixion. According to the Bible, the Jews picked Barabas. I've heard scholars say that that was because Jesus was making such waves in his community that he was raising the ire of the Roman guard, which always resulted in bloodshed. So, the Jews supposedly wanted him to go. On the other hand, spending the next 2000 years slandering the Jews for supposedly "causing his death" is very un-Jesus-ly of people who supposedly follow the golden rule, etc.
I'm pretty certain it's only a small (albeit admittedly vocal) subset of Christians who condemn Jews for killing Jesus.
bitbanger wrote:
The Hebrew invention of monotheism was one of the most powerful philosophical/religions inventions of the species. Witness that appx. 2.5 billion follow religions based on that invention. Philosophical systems, like language, are powerful tools and can be cultural weapons as well (e.g. English). I've seen very interesting arguments that Judaism was primarily responsible for the destruction of the Roman imperial tyranny through its Christian branch. Similarly, it could be seen as a significant contributor to the destruction of European monarchical tyrannies through its Protestant sub-branch. Other examples could be cited. One could make an argument that Judaism is one of the world's greatest and most powerful cultures. Of course these viewpoints are predicated on a cultural and not racial argument. As an American this is a natural viewpoint as we are a culture that does not have a race. As such, I'd certainly say that they were one of the winners.
Two things: first, I believe both Akhenaten and Zoroaster beat the ancient Hebrews to monotheism; second, all three are more monolatric than monotheistic. (Consider "Thou shalt have no other gods before me": one could argue that it acknowledges the existence of other gods, but states their power as worthless in comparison to YHWH.)
DoctorHooey wrote:
I'm no Bibilcal scholar, but I believe that derives from the fact that Pontius Pilate gave the Jews the choice of sparing either Jesus or Barabas, a common thief, the punishment of death by crucifixion. According to the Bible, the Jews picked Barabas. I've heard scholars say that that was because Jesus was making such waves in his community that he was raising the ire of the Roman guard, which always resulted in bloodshed. So, the Jews supposedly wanted him to go. On the other hand, spending the next 2000 years slandering the Jews for supposedly "causing his death" is very un-Jesus-ly of people who supposedly follow the golden rule, etc.
...it is easy to find out, one ought to read the Bible for oneself...
MonkeyPod wrote:
Sorry to drag this out even more but I've never understood exactly why the Jews where blamed for Christ's death. Didn't the Romans kill him? If so, should everyone be hating Italians?
I'm no Bibilcal scholar, but I believe that derives from the fact that Pontius Pilate gave the Jews the choice of sparing either Jesus or Barabas, a common thief, the punishment of death by crucifixion. According to the Bible, the Jews picked Barabas. I've heard scholars say that that was because Jesus was making such waves in his community that he was raising the ire of the Roman guard, which always resulted in bloodshed. So, the Jews supposedly wanted him to go. On the other hand, spending the next 2000 years slandering the Jews for supposedly "causing his death" is very un-Jesus-ly of people who supposedly follow the golden rule, etc.
This guy has 4 kids! Regarding :arrowd: The Jews have been, and continue to be, the scapegoats of the world, and will be driven out of extinction because of it.
MonkeyPod wrote:
Sorry to drag this out even more but I've never understood exactly why the Jews where blamed for Christ's death. Didn't the Romans kill him? If so, should everyone be hating Italians?
Maybe it was Jesus' own fault for being Jewish when the Romans killed him? (Hey, I'm not saying it's right. This whole "Jews killed Jesus" theorry is news to me. Thank you Mel Gibson!) :drunk:
Is that what this song is about...I should really listen to the lyrics moonbat wrote:
Sigh. Smooth out your panties, folks. Let's recap, shall we? My original comment: "History depends on which side wins and who lives to tell the tale" was pointing out the fact that in any conflict, especially one that happened long ago, history is written by the winners. Since the Hebrews' version of history has survived for millennia, while the Phoenician culture is long gone, the Hebrews won that particular propaganda battle (not unlike the Tudor historian Holinshed, who depicted Richard III as an evil crookback and usurper. The good people of York would have strongly disagreed, but hey, the losers were out of power or long dead or both and nobody cared what they thought). My comment raised the ire of Ploafmonster (sorry, can't buy that he's a master of anything, not even ploaf), who snarked: "Yes, I'm sure we'd all agree that the Jews were the winners of history." That was his comment, not mine. My answer: "The Jews' version of history spawned three important religions. I guess they won after all" was in response to his snarkasm. Perhaps if I had said "The Hebrews' version of history..." it would have been taken as a clearly historical reference and not as an anti-Semitic comment. I do think, however, that both you and Ploafie are looking at a glass half empty. Sure, the Jews have been persecuted throughout history, but still they've been able to have an enormous influence on our world. The Old Testament and the Ten Commandments are accepted as the Word of God by millions of people. Many of the greatest minds in the history of the world have been Jewish. Their contributions to medicine, science, arts and entertainment, literature, philanthropy and civil rights, not to mention religion, have been incalculable. Contrast this with another long persecuted group, the Romany, who have given us Django Reinhardt and fortune telling and not much else. Their standing in the world is on the sidelines, at best. They got bupkis. That the Jewish people are still able to serve humanity despite being hounded and persecuted for centuries is amazing and inspirational. BTW, have you heard about that new Phoenician deli on 5th Avenue? Me neither. Now luze mer up. :mrgreen:
Love the album cover I collect steins!
nate917 wrote:
Are you kidding? They gave us pickpockets and the Gipsy Kings. Quit talking out your butt, Henry Ford.
I thought your name was Nate.
This one just keeps eeeeking itsway up the trekhead charts. 7 => 8. :sunny:
shakitten wrote:
Uhm...let's see. The Christians came about and pretty much blamed the Jews for the last 2000 years for "killing Christ". The wars and violence against the Jews continue to this day (it's been going on way longer than The Holocaust, though that was by far the worst example). Islam has been against both Jew and Christian, and Christianity has been against Islam. And the Jews keep getting slapped by both. And the whole Middle East, with huge help from the greedy U.S., is about to self-destruct over these spawned religions, which in turn threatens the whole world. So, how do you figure they won?
Sorry to drag this out even more but I've never understood exactly why the Jews where blamed for Christ's death. Didn't the Romans kill him? If so, should everyone be hating Italians?
Monkeysdad wrote:
Quite a stirring critique of music, or is this history class?!
Well put, I guess I get a little carried away.
moonbat wrote:
Contrast this with another long persecuted group, the Romany, who have given us Django Reinhardt and fortune telling and not much else. :mrgreen:
Are you kidding? They gave us pickpockets and the Gipsy Kings. Quit talking out your butt, Henry Ford. Whereof one cannot speak, thereon one must remain silent. -- Wittgenstein.
Monkeysdad wrote:
Quite a stirring critique of music, or is this history class?!
Hah, seriously, quite a diatribe going on, I enjoy thoughtful banner for the most part, but I enjoy it more when it's in the 'appropriate' setting. Since this is an internet radio station that's interested in 'music radio,' not 'talk radio,' it's not the appropriate setting. Yay, now more music! :bounce:
bitbanger wrote:
The Hebrew invention of monotheism was one of the most powerful philosophical/religions inventions of the species. Witness that appx. 2.5 billion follow religions based on that invention. Philosophical systems, like language, are powerful tools and can be cultural weapons as well (e.g. English). I've seen very interesting arguments that Judaism was primarily responsible for the destruction of the Roman imperial tyranny through its Christian branch. Similarly, it could be seen as a significant contributor to the destruction of European monarchical tyrannies through its Protestant sub-branch. Other examples could be cited. One could make an argument that Judaism is one of the world's greatest and most powerful cultures. Of course these viewpoints are predicated on a cultural and not racial argument. As an American this is a natural viewpoint as we are a culture that does not have a race. As such, I'd certainly say that they were one of the winners.
Quite a stirring critique of music, or is this history class?!
shakitten wrote:
Uhm...let's see. The Christians came about and pretty much blamed the Jews for the last 2000 years for "killing Christ". wars and violence against the Jews continue to this day... So, how do you figure they won?
The Hebrew invention of monotheism was one of the most powerful philosophical/religions inventions of the species. Witness that appx. 2.5 billion follow religions based on that invention. Philosophical systems, like language, are powerful tools and can be cultural weapons as well (e.g. English). I've seen very interesting arguments that Judaism was primarily responsible for the destruction of the Roman imperial tyranny through its Christian branch. Similarly, it could be seen as a significant contributor to the destruction of European monarchical tyrannies through its Protestant sub-branch. Other examples could be cited. One could make an argument that Judaism is one of the world's greatest and most powerful cultures. Of course these viewpoints are predicated on a cultural and not racial argument. As an American this is a natural viewpoint as we are a culture that does not have a race. As such, I'd certainly say that they were one of the winners.
shakitten wrote:
Uhm...let's see. The Christians came about and pretty much blamed the Jews for the last 2000 years for "killing Christ".
No harshness pointed at you, but I've always thought this was interesting since Christianity is based on the "death and resurrection of Jesus Christ". Seems like the Christians should be thanking the Jews for fulfilling prophecy.
Iron and Wine just doesn't do it for me. I thought they'd grow on me with enough listens, kind of like Guster did, but it simply hasn't happened yet.
Fine, thanks. And you?
moonbat wrote:
Sigh. Smooth out your panties, folks. Let's recap, shall we? My original comment: "History depends on which side wins and who lives to tell the tale" was pointing out the fact that in any conflict, especially one that happened long ago, history is written by the winners. Since the Hebrews' version of history has survived for millennia, while the Phoenician culture is long gone, the Hebrews won that particular propaganda battle (not unlike the Tudor historian Holinshed, who depicted Richard III as an evil crookback and usurper. The good people of York would have strongly disagreed, but hey, the losers were out of power or long dead or both and nobody cared what they thought). My comment raised the ire of Ploafmonster (sorry, can't buy that he's a master of anything, not even ploaf), who snarked: "Yes, I'm sure we'd all agree that the Jews were the winners of history." That was his comment, not mine. My answer: "The Jews' version of history spawned three important religions. I guess they won after all" was in response to his snarkasm. Perhaps if I had said "The Hebrews' version of history..." it would have been taken as a clearly historical reference and not as an anti-Semitic comment. I do think, however, that both you and Ploafie are looking at a glass half empty. Sure, the Jews have been persecuted throughout history, but still they've been able to have an enormous influence on our world. The Old Testament and the Ten Commandments are accepted as the Word of God by millions of people. Many of the greatest minds in the history of the world have been Jewish. Their contributions to medicine, science, arts and entertainment, literature, philanthropy and civil rights, not to mention religion, have been incalculable. Contrast this with another long persecuted group, the Romany, who have given us Django Reinhardt and fortune telling and not much else. Their standing in the world is on the sidelines, at best. They got bupkis. That the Jewish people are still able to serve humanity despite being hounded and persecuted for centuries is amazing and inspirational. BTW, have you heard about that new Phoenician deli on 5th Avenue? Me neither. Now luze mer up. :mrgreen:
Hi, how are you?
shakitten wrote:
Uhm...let's see. The Christians came about and pretty much blamed the Jews for the last 2000 years for "killing Christ". The wars and violence against the Jews continue to this day (it's been going on way longer than The Holocaust, though that was by far the worst example). Islam has been against both Jew and Christian, and Christianity has been against Islam. And the Jews keep getting slapped by both. And the whole Middle East, with huge help from the greedy U.S., is about to self-destruct over these spawned religions, which in turn threatens the whole world. So, how do you figure they won?
Sigh. Smooth out your panties, folks. Let's recap, shall we? My original comment: "History depends on which side wins and who lives to tell the tale" was pointing out the fact that in any conflict, especially one that happened long ago, history is written by the winners. Since the Hebrews' version of history has survived for millennia, while the Phoenician culture is long gone, the Hebrews won that particular propaganda battle (not unlike the Tudor historian Holinshed, who depicted Richard III as an evil crookback and usurper. The good people of York would have strongly disagreed, but hey, the losers were out of power or long dead or both and nobody cared what they thought). My comment raised the ire of Ploafmonster (sorry, can't buy that he's a master of anything, not even ploaf), who snarked: "Yes, I'm sure we'd all agree that the Jews were the winners of history." That was his comment, not mine. My answer: "The Jews' version of history spawned three important religions. I guess they won after all" was in response to his snarkasm. Perhaps if I had said "The Hebrews' version of history..." it would have been taken as a clearly historical reference and not as an anti-Semitic comment. I do think, however, that both you and Ploafie are looking at a glass half empty. Sure, the Jews have been persecuted throughout history, but still they've been able to have an enormous influence on our world. The Old Testament and the Ten Commandments are accepted as the Word of God by millions of people. Many of the greatest minds in the history of the world have been Jewish. Their contributions to medicine, science, arts and entertainment, literature, philanthropy and civil rights, not to mention religion, have been incalculable. Contrast this with another long persecuted group, the Romany, who have given us Django Reinhardt and fortune telling and not much else. Their standing in the world is on the sidelines, at best. They got bupkis. That the Jewish people are still able to serve humanity despite being hounded and persecuted for centuries is amazing and inspirational. BTW, have you heard about that new Phoenician deli on 5th Avenue? Me neither. Now luze mer up. :mrgreen:
Yawn
These guys are one trick pony. It's a nice trick but they never stray very far from the formula...gets boring very quickly.
This has been an outstanding morning - Richard Buckner, Elliott Smith and now Iron and Wine. Bill, you are a god.
moonbat wrote:
BTW...the Jews' version of history spawned three important religions. I guess they won after all.
Uhm...let's see. The Christians came about and pretty much blamed the Jews for the last 2000 years for "killing Christ". The wars and violence against the Jews continue to this day (it's been going on way longer than The Holocaust, though that was by far the worst example). Islam has been against both Jew and Christian, and Christianity has been against Islam. And the Jews keep getting slapped by both. And the whole Middle East, with huge help from the greedy U.S., is about to self-destruct over these spawned religions, which in turn threatens the whole world. So, how do you figure they won?
bokey wrote:
I can't name one of their songs but I've looked on the song list at least a half dozen times because something sounded good and it was them.
and what caught your ear? just curious and not being a wank
love this song. :bananapiano: :bananajam: :drunk: :group-hug:
celadonstone wrote:
Me neither, Geechee. In my experience it has meant a woman of any color who had questionable behavior and/or character. If I did learn of that specific Jim Crow era usage, it would be in a book or online somewhere. Not in my firsthand experience.
This is the way it is defined in my idiolect as well, Celadon, and always as a direct reference to the Biblical queen.
bokey wrote:
I can't name one of their songs but I've looked on the song list at least a half dozen times because something sounded good and it was them.
This, and their collaboration with Calexico ("In The Reins"), were my first RP-inspired purchases.
I can't name one of their songs but I've looked on the song list at least a half dozen times because something sounded good and it was them.
Geecheeboy wrote:
Really? Where? Up North? In California maybe? Never heard it used in that context.
Me neither, Geechee. In my experience it has meant a woman of any color who had questionable behavior and/or character. If I did learn of that specific Jim Crow era usage, it would be in a book or online somewhere. Not in my firsthand experience.
:roflol: I just love the use of the banjo in this tune, I find the whole song holds together beautifully ...and as we can see below, lyrically it is enuf to stir up a few folks curiousity. ...top marks to Iron & Wine!
ploafmaster wrote:
Yes, I'm sure we'd all agree that the Jews were the winners of history. Wait..that's not true at all. They were conquered and captured and controlled through much of their history. And when did I say women were treated fairly in the Bible? I'm calling out that fact that you're reading a LOT into something that really has only one source, whichever viewpoint. You're making up the other side of the story.
I'm not making up another side--I'm just skeptical of the original source. (Check out the PBS series "Kingdom Of David" for some eye-opening debunking.) BTW...the Jews' version of history spawned three important religions. I guess they won after all.