[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Madrugada — Hands Up - I Love You
Album: The Nightly Disease
Avg rating:
7.4

Your rating:
Total ratings: 1990









Released: 2001
Length: 5:29
Plays (last 30 days): 1
There's no use to complain
Or start it off again
There's no sign of weakness in me
Do I compel you like you compel me?
And nothing stays the same
And no one said it would
I would not think of such things if I could...
If I could help myself,
If I could

So put your warm little hands where I can see them
Put those hands on my face
Tell me you love me
And no one else
Or close those little hands
Now they're fists
Now they're little fists

Punch a hole in me with those fists
If you ever wanted to punch a hole in me
And find out what's in me
There's really nothing in me

And nothing stays the same
And nothing ever happens to you that will happen to you again
Or is this the way it was?
Was it this same room, this same fight, this same scene?
With us dancing on the kitchen floor
And the wind climbing in through the open window

I used to hear distant cracks out in the city night
I could swear some one was being shot down
Now we hear that all the time...

So do you like where we're headed?
Does it make sense in your eyes?
Do you miss me, baby, when I fall asleep?
Do you reach out for my arm?
Do you find it's too far away?
Do you?

Now tell me I'm handsome
I will tell you we are really not old at all
There's no use to complain

Still you and no one else

So put your warm little hands where I can see them
Put those hands on my face
Now if you get any out of this
Then that's the thing that makes me sleep all day
And I'll explain my love for you
On another day
Comments (270)add comment
Panty-burner, eh?  First time I read that one.  
How I love some of the comments that get posted here! This one nearly had me in tears of laughter!

djengs wrote:
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.
 

I feel like they're gonna be slipping into the twilight zone any minute now!! 
I fink it's pretty good.
  7 down to 3  
really good guitar bits, baseline, vocals...
Creepy... in a Norwegian Leonard Cohen-ish sorta way. Not a bad thing, but creepy!
This song will kill me on a trip
Never heard before. Love it.  
 Grayson wrote:
While I usually like Madrugada, this song is creeping me out. 
 
I agree 
My rating is only  7
While I usually like Madrugada, this song is creeping me out. 
 NoEnzLefttoSplit wrote:

agreed. 
 
I'll have him sing to me anytime...
Madrugada is on the road again...
go catch them, well worth it.
I love this voice. ♥
 Hannio wrote:


I think he's kinda creepy, actually.

 
agreed. 
I hear shades of several Chris Rea and Chris Isaak songs in this.
Sounds like Bill Callahan here.
 d-don wrote:

THANK YOU, Bill for playing this again! I remembered reading this post nearly three years ago, and every day I anxiously awaited its return. This is hands down the GREATEST POST in the history of RP! It is so right on true! "Panty burner..." Gold, Jerry...GOLD!!

 
 A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.
Initially threw me for a loop… in the direction of Tony Joe White… 
 LowPhreak wrote:
The music is ok, but WTF with the lyrics/vocals? {#Crashcomp}

 

I think he's kinda creepy, actually.
 volnomad wrote:
We have several of their CDs. All good stuff: moody, haunting, great guitar, etc. Yes, vocals a bit like Nick Cave, but that's a good thing! Unfortunately the guitarist died a few years ago... 

 
We just bought this album based on your recommendation - thanks!

Using the RP link, of course... 
We have several of their CDs. All good stuff: moody, haunting, great guitar, etc. Yes, vocals a bit like Nick Cave, but that's a good thing! Unfortunately the guitarist died a few years ago... 
His voice makes it all!
 Piranga wrote:
Chris Rea.

 
There is no need to insult these guys.
good !!
still this very good guitar

at the beginning, sounded like Baxter Dury (voice and melody)

thanks RP for pointing out these very nice surprises !!
are these guys really from Norway?
this and the other Madrugada that RP plays are real good
no offence was intended with the Norway question 
 boober wrote:
The Album Cover
Isabella Rossellini?
I know it's not her....but I like making calls like this.
always loved this song and this band.....sorry they are no more!  

 
I thought it was Linda Rondstadt.


Nice groove!  
Fantastic. I have never heard this band ANYWHERE ELSE other than RP. I heard a track a couple years ago and was so struck by it that I made a mental note of the band -  different song today - had to look em up again. Need to buy CD now. Thanks Bill for turning me on to them. 

 

Why has no American label signed this guy-?

More Sivert Hoyem, please... Lots and lots more...

Nice to hear a man's voice for a change. Deep, unapologetic, relaxed... confident...

Funny how we never know what we miss until it pops up


The music is ok, but WTF with the lyrics/vocals? {#Crashcomp}
{#Heartkiss} ........ v nice 8
 Piranga wrote:
Chris Rea.

 
yeah, kind of. . . .
Nice!
Chris Rea.
The Album Cover
Isabella Rossellini?
I know it's not her....but I like making calls like this.
always loved this song and this band.....sorry they are no more!  
Innamadrugadadavida
More of a MacGruber fan, than Madrugda. 

MacGruber: Macgrubie don't play like homie, and homie don't play like that.
Cool song.  I thought this might be Tindersticks until I looked it up.
No, Bill, No!!!  Send it to the cornfield, send it to the cornfield!!!
Thanks RP...I like Sivert's music. Would not have heard him if not for you
Almost all -8-s this morning... We must be in sync or maybe great minds running in same rut...
Nice, mellow. Bit too similar to Chris Isaak's style, but hey... that's fine. Saint's be praised, happy St. Paddy's day to all.
Yeah, I'm sitting here at work, and the bass line is sinking in deep.
 
cShaggy wrote:


..i hear Twilight Zone (Golden Earring) in it, meself..
 


 djengs wrote:
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.
 
THANK YOU, Bill for playing this again! I remembered reading this post nearly three years ago, and every day I anxiously awaited its return. This is hands down the GREATEST POST in the history of RP! It is so right on true! "Panty burner..." Gold, Jerry...GOLD!!
 daedalus wrote:
The insistent bass playing and the bassline itself are very reminiscent of Silversun Pickups. Thought it was them till I heard the voice!
 



..i hear Twilight Zone (Golden Earring) in it, meself..
I did not know this track from Madrugada. It is pretty good! Thanks RP!! {#Sunny}
I know there's been an abundance of comparisons made already in this thread, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one hearing Michael Franti here.
Beautiful lyrics as always 
Alejandro Escovedo meets Bryan Ferry
 
 Delawhere wrote:
I was gonna say Morphine. This song sound nothing like the other one I know by them... both songs quite likeable!
 
Yes! Definitely Morphine-ish! Love it. 
 djengs wrote:
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.
 
Kinda like Barry White, huh?
PSD
This singer has a good voice and every song I've heard from the group is good.  The instrumentation goes well with his voice.
Wow!  What a fantastic segue from Rachael Yamagata "Starlight" to this!  love it
 ereme wrote:
up to 9..sivert's voice..
 

The insistent bass playing and the bassline itself are very reminiscent of Silversun Pickups. Thought it was them till I heard the voice!

Chris Isaac, surf guitar meets Los lobos guitar riffs... in cold an spooky Scandinavian fjord... Cool
freeking boring

panty-burning notwithstanding
"I dislike this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner."

Hilarious!

I like the extremely fat, fuzzy guitar pedal throughout. It's a good combination with the highlighted bass and synthesizer.
I think there's a lot of music on RP that sounds good, even though the song writing isn't better than average. And It's one of the reasons this is such a great place to hear music you wouldn't hear anywhere else. But I think Madrugada falls into this catagory. This is a boring song that sounds really good.
 djengs wrote:
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.
 
You have NEVER been so right in you life ( my guess anyway )  You are brilliant !
up to 9..sivert's voice..
Fran? Fran! are you ok? do you want me to come over? Fran?
a solid 9
 djengs wrote:
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.

 
MMMMMmmm BWA HAHAHAH HA Ha ha ha haaaaa. . .  "panty burner" 

awesome. . . 


ah, that voice...
 jocelynsart wrote:
ha ha.....kind of sounds like a robbie robertson/leonard cohen mix to me, the voice
 

a little bit of JJ Cale in there too.
ha ha.....kind of sounds like a robbie robertson/leonard cohen mix to me, the voice
 mfcrowe wrote:
This is hands down the funniest and most true comment I have read on RP! You made me laugh out loud. {#Roflol}

 djengs wrote:
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.
 
 
haha!! after reading both of these, made me like this song even more—decided to change my rating from 7 to 8. Soooo true re: that voice


kinda likey...cool
This is hands down the funniest and most true comment I have read on RP! You made me laugh out loud. {#Roflol}

 djengs wrote:
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.
 


 rahkinrah wrote:
+ almost sounds like Bob Welsh
 
if you're referring to the alcoholic Dodgers pitcher than I will agree with you 5=>3.
+ almost sounds like Bob Welsh
I was gonna say Morphine. This song sound nothing like the other one I know by them... both songs quite likeable!
 djengs wrote:
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.
 
I LOVE his voice. What a sexy song...


I'm not going to look thru 7 pages of comments, but I'm going to guess I'm not the only one who hears "Strange Way" from Firefall, especially near the end

"That's a strange way to tell me you love me
When your sorrow is all I can see..."
 Gregoria wrote:

He sounds like the singer from Looking Glass.  Wasn't that the band that did "Brandy" long ago?
 
Hey, good catch!  Never thought of that. I like that song, and yeah, Looking Glass did it.

 Ntropy wrote:


You hit the nail on the head! That voice is dreamy. *sigh*
 
He sounds like the singer from Looking Glass.  Wasn't that the band that did "Brandy" long ago?


The girl on the cover, such freaky eyes...don't look into the eyes, look around the eyes....ahhhhhh too late she's snatched my soul

 djengs wrote:
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.
 

we can only hope he is gay
 djengs wrote:
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.
 

You hit the nail on the head! That voice is dreamy. *sigh*
 djengs wrote:
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.
 
You got that right. My husband knows I melt everytime I hear him. (He dont like him either)

 djengs wrote:
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.
 
{#Cool}

One of the many bands that I probably wouldn't have discovered if it weren't for RP.  I really, really dig Madrugada, but there music sure is hard to find in the U.S.
 djengs wrote:
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.
 

I would question the women you know on this one djengs.  :)  Besides, maybe he's not self-indulgent - which would be much more attractive, to me at least.
WORKS!
Bill, I gotta ask:  Is this guy your long lost cousin or what?  Yeah, he's got a very distinctive voice, as do you, but seriously, the music isn't all that...
I finally figured it out: the reason I do not like this guy's voice is because it is a panty-burner. You just know if this guy walks by and says "pardon me"  the girl with you is gone. She is going home with him tonight. Jealousy, pure and simple.
 Anax wrote:
Jeez, no. Go away.
 
I agree.  It's not looking good now. 

Jeez, no. Go away.
BTW... this song is not on this album... its on "The Nightly Disease Vol. 1"

I like this song but it would be great to hear another cut or two from this CD so I know whether I want to buy it.  Thanks! (I hope. . .)
Groovy Goodness.............{#Yes}
 jhorton wrote:
I think this is the best band I ever heard that never made it in America.
 

Agreed.... wholeheartedly.
I think this is the best band I ever heard that never made it in America.
 gatorade wrote:
And people complain about Thom Yorke's vocals? These vocals are awful.
 
{#Cool} Honestly, how can you claim these vocals are 'awful' when you rate Bob Dylan a 10?{#Stupid}
I can understand you may not like it, that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
But, to label this awful and then rate BD (whose singing isn't even in key) as GODLIKE?

and because tonight it's just perfect, 9
From what I gather on Wikipedia, Chris Rea (glad to know how to spell it after all these years) is from Middlesborough, England, so road to hell must run on a different track. Evidently he will be back; a new studio album is evidently due in 2010.

 
That_SOB wrote:


 Yes, I hear that coming out loud and clear. The only difference is that Madrugadta is/was a great
group, while Chris Rea has been on the 'road to hell' somewhere in Texas since day one......and
with a bit of luck, he'll never come back.

 


Because of RP I now have this and a couple more disc by these boys. Music is awesome make you want to sway and groove.

I need to put on a pair of dark shades now{#Cool}
yes, my hands are up for this voice, we'll see about love later
so sad what happened to Robert Burås
The singer Sivert Høyem still has this incredible voice and he is touring in Europe lately.
his voice is just pretty lyrics a little creepy—nice combination.
 queenjill wrote:
I don't know about other girls, but I think this is possibly the sexiest voice I've ever heard. 
Oh yeah ... knew I couldn't be the first to post a comment like this ... {#Cowboy} Lovin' the bass, too.

And people complain about Thom Yorke's vocals? These vocals are awful.
 j7 wrote:
If morphine was good, they could've sounded like this.
 
How DARE you put down one of the best bands from the Boston area.  Mark Sandman is GOD.

 FrankMc wrote:
Reminds me of Chris Ria. Very good but I'll probably have to pass on the $69 Amazon price tag.

 

 Yes, I hear that coming out loud and clear. The only difference is that Madrugadta is/was a great
group, while Chris Rea has been on the 'road to hell' somewhere in Texas since day one......and
with a bit of luck, he'll never come back.


These guys have soul, and I'm not talking about the genre Soul music - I'm speaking of that mind-body presence from which the heart speaks. . .

If morphine was good, they could've sounded like this.
 russteaches wrote:

Yeah, I was a little shocked at that one too.  It's cheaper elsewhere, though.

 

Amazon has the digital (MP3) version for $7.99.

{#Chillpill} wow.....thanks Bill.....??

 


"Do I compel you the way you compel me?"

Give me a break.
Netto wrote:
Теперь сталП пПМятМП, ПткуЎа был скПпОрПваМ альбПЌ "МПрская" ЛагутеМкП, спасОбП, Ўа.

 
peter_james_bond wrote:

Google translation:

It is now clear, was copied from the album "Sea" Lagutenko, thank you, yes

 
I am not very good in Russian, but the translation should be: 

is now clear, where the album "Sea" Lagutenko was copied from, thank you, yes.

Still, "Sea Lagutenko" does not make sense to me. After a Google search on  "МПрская" ЛагутеМкП, it turns out that МПрская (or sea-like, in English) is an album by a Russian group МуЌОй ТрПлль (Mumiy Troll in English).

To sum up, original poster, Netto, was saying album by Mumiy Troll is copy of Madrugada's work. Could be, I am not familiar with Russian music :)

Anyway, end of mystery.


 Netto wrote:
Теперь сталП пПМятМП, ПткуЎа был скПпОрПваМ альбПЌ "МПрская" ЛагутеМкП, спасОбП, Ўа.
 
Google translation:

It is now clear, was copied from the album "Sea" Lagutenko, thank you, yes

 slippery wrote:
Man, I've become totally addicted to madrugada. From liking a few songs to a full out junkie in a few months.
 

I totally agree!  It's like auditory crack.  I couldn't kick the habit even if I wanted to.
(The Madrugada habit—not crack.)
Теперь сталП пПМятМП, ПткуЎа был скПпОрПваМ альбПЌ "МПрская" ЛагутеМкП, спасОбП, Ўа.

Sexy!
 FrankMc wrote:
Reminds me of Chris Ria. Very good but I'll probably have to pass on the $69 Amazon price tag.

 
Yeah, I was a little shocked at that one too.  It's cheaper elsewhere, though.

Hey Bill you fooled me thought it was "Don't you Evah by Spoon!!! ;-)
Reminds me of Chris Ria. Very good but I'll probably have to pass on the $69 Amazon price tag.

Can anybody tell why I relate this song to a Quentin Tarantino movie?